Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Rear Axle Leak Ford 9 inch (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rear-axle-leak-ford-9-inch-68341.html)

zonk 08-17-2005 03:14 PM

Rear Axle Leak Ford 9 inch

I have a nuisance leak around my right rear tire. I'm using a 57 ford 9 inch, seems like it is always leaking small out of oil between axle flange and axle bearing retainer. I have noticed it on both side, my bearings are doubled sealed napa # 88128R I'm using Synergyn Syngear 11 oil which is red. This looks whats leaking is black, so I'm thinking it's the grease coming out of the bearings. I pulled the right side axle out bearing seems ok, at one time I was using inner axle seal still seemed to leak a little,before I put axles back in have used small amount of rtv black around bearing trying to fix it. I'm wondering possible my right axle is bent alittle causing this? Or since I'm not using inner seal the syngear working through bearing seals slowly washing out the grease? I'm considering have new axles made this winter, starting to pull some splines on the original axles any thoughts ? Thanks

IanRiordan 08-19-2005 05:24 AM

bad 9 inch

You may be right on both counts. All 9 inch's run hot due to the sharp pinion tooth (pressure) angle. 2 hours towing a ski boat and I could smell gear oil with the windows up. I'm unfamiliar with napa parts here in Aus, but if it's a small bearing with thin oil and a tall tyre for leverage look out. How about a tapered roller, external seal & higher oil level? Works well in local hybrid ford centre, gm axle tube combo's.

johnsongrass1 08-19-2005 09:08 AM

Have you tried a gasket on the retainer? OR some RTV around the bearing?

Sealed bearings don't have that much fluid in them. If at all.

zonk 08-19-2005 09:19 AM

It's a big bearing housing, originally as far as I know had a sealed bearing, interesting thought on taper roller bearing and seal, Don't know if one could be converted that originally had sealed bearing and still have room.
Have been putting black rtv around outer bearing race see if that would help.

Pretty sure having new axles made this winter go from there.
Thanks for the thoughts.

johnsongrass1 08-19-2005 10:25 AM

A bent axle will take out the seal in short order. You could try running inner seals to help keep fluid out of the tube.

IanRiordan 08-19-2005 06:30 PM

9 inch seals.

I gave up on sealed bearings years ago and now run a 9 inch centre with Holden (local Gm) axles, tubes, bearings and brakes. Check out non c-clip Gm, Dana, Amc etc. Early swing axle M/benz have a seal that should go close, You could make a retainer out of Benz & Ford parts and use a homemade gaskrt behind it. but the other bloke is right, check out the housing first. Almost forgot, how clear is your diff breather? they generate a lot of heat so expanding air has to vent somewhere.