Rear Axle Length for 41 Ford Coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 11:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rear Axle Length for 41 Ford Coupe

Any one have an idea as to the overall length (rotor to rotor?) that will be suitable for a 9" housing to be mounted into a 1941 Ford 2 door body? I have a housing and I realize it will need to be cut and new axles made. I intend to use discs all 4 corners. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

A stock 40 Ford is 60 inches.......measured this way....

But most street rodders use a 56 inch wide rear end under the 40....so as to run larger tires and some reverse offset.

That's a 40.....not a 41 .......never had a 41..

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-24-2005, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Good info that will help....
Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

they are the same

we always used the 57 1/2 inch rears. Common to 57-59 Fords, mid 60s Fairlanes and Mustangs up through 68.
There is aftermarket parallel leaf spring kits that are perfect and work great.

Unless you are upping the HP above 300, a Maverick- Granada 8 inch is 57 1/2 wide and a bolt in and will last if you stay away from slicks. They are only $ 50 anywhere/ complete. Lots of street rods doing 8 inch now. (8 inch and 9 inch have the same axles, believe it or not)

The MII 8 inch is 56 I think.

Last edited by xntrik; 09-27-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:14 AM

Thanks, xntrik. I have a complete 9" out of a 80's pickup that will need to be cut down anyway. I will have about 400 ponies when I complete the '93 LT1 stroker with a 700r4 behind it. The 411 positrak will require 31 splined axels so I will need to have new axles made to boot. Guess I need to consider a GearVendors OD with high gas prices if I want to travel back east in this car next year. I have received additional off-line info that concurrs with the 56 to 57-1/2" approx. width. I appreciate all the info you guys have given.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat41
Thanks, xntrik. I have a complete 9" out of a 80's pickup that will need to be cut down anyway. I will have about 400 ponies when I complete the '93 LT1 stroker with a 700r4 behind it. The 411 positrak will require 31 splined axels so I will need to have new axles made to boot. Guess I need to consider a GearVendors OD with high gas prices if I want to travel back east in this car next year. I have received additional off-line info that concurrs with the 56 to 57-1/2" approx. width. I appreciate all the info you guys have given.

The 700r4 should be OK. I'd rather have a 700r4 or a 200r4 built-up than have a 3 speed and the Gear Vendors = My buddy has a C-6 with a Gear Vendors.

Strange or Moser commonly makes axles in most all lengths, not much more than getting the old ones cut. Decide your overall length and make the housing fit their common axle lengths. They can cut yours economically.

I liked that bolt-on aftermarket kit with parallel leaves that went under the 40. Later took it off and went back stock and put the leaves/9 in under the deuce roadster. It matched the leaf separation correctly. Ford rears are usually 43 1/2 spring pad to pad. Except those trucks.

Those widths are EXACT.. wheel flange to wheel flange.... except for brake drum thickness that adds about 1/4 inch overall. If you measure a Versailles disk rear, the wheel mounting on the rotor to rotor measures 57 3/4.

And, some of the 69-73 Mustangs have 59 1/2 wide, and I have heard of 60 1/2 but never seen one in a Mustang. I plead guilty to not bothering to measure them when there is no particular reason to do so.

By the way, be absolutely sure to tell whomever does the cutting the exact overall width you want where the wheels bolt on.... don't take anything for granted. (on Fords, the amount the axle sticks out of the housing end varies)

Did you see the Nov. 2005 Car Craft? Page 58 he is measuring the HOUSING length.. What good is that??? Who measures rears like that.... We need to know where the wheels fit on so they will fit under the fenders correctly.

Above the picture he lists the length as "housing end to end" and then below the same picture he lists it as "axle flange-to-flange width".. what the heck kind of confusion is that.??? Without studying the picture you wouldn't know what he did. That is why there is so much confusion out in the real world.

holler if I can help further.
thanks
x
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 PM

Thanks, xntrik. Between you guys and Hartrods of Ventura who has a book that shows the stock wheel flange to wheel flange to be 56", and some additional measurements I took on the frame and the distance between the inner fender wall and the outer rear fender, I think I have a good handle on what I need for the overall length. As the old say'n goes - measure twice, cut once. In this case three times is better.......

Thanks again for all your help :

By the way, today started the Hot Rod Reunion drag meet at Famosa here at Bakersfield, Ca. They got some *****'n side by side action drags and lots of untold treasures waitn to be found at the swap meet. If you all get chance to make it here, let me know & we'll have a beer or six, my treat.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Fords are Fords. Generally, Up through the mid 50s the rears were 56 wide. 1957 introduced the pumpkin 9 inch rear @ 57 1/2 wide. This was pretty standard width and applied to the mid size cars Fairlanes/Torino/Mustang/bigger Falcons up through the 60s, when they got 2 " wider in some 69-70 cars, all on leaf springs. The 70s through 80 Granada series (66 Fairlane in disguise) was 57 1/2, hence the Versailles disc 9 inch, and some 80 Monarchs got drum brake 8.8 on the leaf springs.

The Granada 8 inch has been discovered by the street-rodding world the last couple years. It is much lighter, pretty strong up to 300 hp at the tires, uses the identical 28 spline 9 inch axles and easily available for $ 50 complete wheel to wheel ready to drive.

The spring dimensions are 43 1/2 all through except for the 62-65 Fairlane/Meteor which is an unique narrow spring width @ 39 1/2.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM

Great information. From all the info I have received, and the frame work I will do, a 56" wide axle flange to axle flange is the width I need. I have failed to mention air ride will be installed on all four corners with a four bar set up. But the information you have xntrik is right on. Thanks again.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.