Rear Coil Over Kit Geometry Problems - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,121 Times in 997 Posts
I am sorry, but that kit looks like a joke to me. If it was properly designed it would be worth the $1600, but the way it is, it wouldn't be my money.

There has been a lot of talk about moving the upper mounts outward, check out the lower brackets guys, the shock would hit it if you put them more vertical! There is NO room to do anything! Next, that upper crossmember, that is really supposed to hold up the car? If the shock mounts were out near the rails maybe, but with the weight of the car (and trailer) all right at the point of those (too small) upper shock mount out in the middle of that bar, you have got to be kidding me.

I am the first to admit, I am no engineer and will over build often, but that thing looks awful flimsy to me.

That upper control arm "adapter" mount on the rear housing looks clumsy at best.

Looks like a mess to me.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Deuce-Now a decent set of coilover shocks is over 500 dollars by themselves. The "bolt in" front end kits for those mustangs falcons etc start at about 1800, and that does not include the rack conversion..

If you go all the way, you can easily spend over 5k under the front of a stang and not need to weld one piece on.
At $500 a set, now I know WHY I do not use coil overs
I actually prefer the rear to ride on springs. Coil springs ... from a Vega or a Monza fits great under most of the stuff I do. Inexpensive, ride great and easy to change. Vega/Monzas had 8 different rear spring rates from GM ... so I can usually get the spring rate I need. Add a set of 63 to 67 Corvette rear shocks and I am good to go. Straight axles in the front too ...

I know that you are vastly more experienced and with a wider range of vehicles also. I am merely a hobbyist ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 AM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

Along the same lines as MartinSR's comments, the upper shock mount cross member appears to be a weak link to the design.

See the attached picture. It looks like the upper shock cross member is made up of telescopic tubing? (in order to adjust to chassis width) At least I think it's telescopic tubing- otherwise why does the tubing neck down on the ends? Also the upper shock cross member looks like it attaches to the frame with two bolts on each side.

Can the original poster tell us the size of the upper cross member tubing (outside diameter)? Does anyone know the thickness of the sheet metal in the stock rear "frame."

For the record, I do not want to trash this company's products nor debate the merits of these products, and am basing comments on a few small pictures. In fact, the general welds and build quality of the kit in the picture of the car on the lift look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	29419  
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Cobralcon

Last journal entry: Daytona Turkey Run
Last photo:

Was back in touch with RC Motorsports today and have decided to take the kit, car, and caboodle to them 2 weeks from today. They have had success with these units on Falcon Cars and Mustangs but this was the first attempt at putting the unit on a Falcon Wagon. I'm just glad RCM and I are both in South Carolina and not 'cross country from each other.

Basically they are going to see first hand what is different with the Wagon and prototype a unit accordingly. This will mutually beneficial and will further help other buyers down the road.

Thanks to all who replied to my original request. Some of the ideas and suggestions will be incorporated into the new prototype, especially those relating to angle of coil over shocks and length of shocks and spring rate. The main lower bracket will no doubt be modified as well.

I have every confidence in RCM, have bought many other parts from them in the past and will continue to use them in the future. They stand four square behind their products and have assured me they will do whatever it takes to make things right on the coil over kit.

I'll post again in a few weeks when the results are finalized and document with pictures.

Thanks again for all inputs,

Hal R.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I put one of their front-end coilover kits in my Maverick and was very pleased with both the kit and the follow up support from RCM. I'm sure they'll do you right!

Russ
Old 05-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfalcon
Was back in touch with RC Motorsports today and have decided to take the kit, car, and caboodle to them 2 weeks from today.

I'll post again in a few weeks when the results are finalized and document with pictures.

Thanks again for all inputs,

Hal R.
How about a update ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 05-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Cobralcon

Last journal entry: Daytona Turkey Run
Last photo:

The Fix

Deuce,

Just can't believe your timing. Just got back from RCM with the Statwag and checked my email and here's your post asking for an update. When I first saw it 20 minutes ago I hadn't even taken any pictures.

The pics I am able to get while still on the trailer follow. As the car sits, which is fine, it is at the lowest setting of the new slide bracket of which I have posted a couple of shots. When compared with the original slide bracket one sees the coil over shock is more vertical than before. The guys at RCM also changed the positioning of the top of the coil overs to make it more vertical which is exactly what a couple of others here on this forum suggested.

This set up will be the one documented and developed and sold by Rod and Custom Motorsports in the future to those who have the Station Wagon version of the Falcon. I'm really satisfied with the response of RCM and don't feel too bad about being the first one through the development. It is one hell of a lot better than I get from many vendors who "just say no" when the question comes to fitting a part to a Falcon. Many (most) vendors just walk away (or run) from the business if it means doing extra or different work because they know they are not going to make buckets of cash selling to Falcon Fanatics, there just aren't enough to make it $feasable.

That pretty much puts a wrap on this topic except to say thank you to all who helped with your suggestions as well as to those who just had a good laugh at the subject. I'm happy with the result and feel the strength and quality of the product is in line with the strength and quality of the vehicles (unibody fords) they were made for, not 3,500 lb + vehicles that need the extra strength of such parts to support their bulk. While it won't sell at the York, PA show I'll be attending the first weekend of June it just may catch on in Carlisle, PA that same weekend which I will also be attending. Some folks just don't realize there is no one size fits all in hotrodding or the car hobby in general and that's a great thing about it!

Hal R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize2.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	29897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize6.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	29898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize7.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	29899  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.