Rear crossmeber for coil over, weld in or bolt in? And.... Panhard or sway bar? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Don't give up,your doing a good job.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Lift, I got to your thread a little late, but will post anyway. I also have a 36 PU with a tri 4 bar and coil overs. The only boxing I did was for the mounting points of the 4 bars. I did weld my cross member inside the frame and the cross member was made from square tubing that I had left over from another job. I did cut it down to where it was a channel and mounted the shocks inside the channel with a through bolt. I like the looks of what you did but you may want to consider a slight change in your shock angles. I had mine inboard about the same as yours, but moved them to the near vertical position to get better clearance for the 2.5 inch tail pipes. This made a very noticeable improvement in the cornering of the truck!!! If you can find my "Project of the Week" from several years ago, you can see pictures of the "before" I relocated the top of the shocks. Project of the Week was before Project Journals.

Trees
Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Good info Trees.

Right now I have the shocks on the lowest hole on the bracket, IIRC, I should be able to gain another 3 inches or so.

A few questions for you though...My shocks are about 14.5 inches mount to mount...how long are yours?

Also how much clearance do you have from the frame to axle?

I wish you had jumped in earlier on the mounting of the shocks on the rear x-member...cool idea.

So you like the handling of the shocks better straight up than angled? Could it be due the increase in spring rate effectiveness, or you think it's jsut set up better?

Thanks, I ain't afraid drilling more holes

On plus note, I got 90% of my Heidts installed yesterday, coulple of things I don't like about it, but will reserve comment until after I call them (Heidts) in the next day or two when I finish it all up and set some weight on the frontend.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

no to panard bar

a panard bar swings in an arc and would either push or pull the axle housing sideways depending on the angle and movement up or down, If you wear a belt and suspenders you could put in a watts linkage... they allow the housing to move in a straight l;ine up and down..If your four bar bushings are soft a watts link using heims would help controll movement.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Lift, I think Billy Shope (Dr. Suspension) and I agreed that the effective increased spring rate may have helped the handling. It makes more sense to get the springs/shocks as far outboard as possible. Us older guys remember how poorly the old transverse sprung Fords handled!!! It has been a while, but it seems 14.5 was the length of my coil overs (they look to be the same from the photos). Also, I think the spring rate is 200 pounds Moving yours to more vertical without changing the adjuster on the coil over effectively will raise the frame slightly. Clearance between the exhaust and axle will be close as well as the top of the axle housing and the frame. I had welded the tab to hold the hard brake line to the flex line connector on top of the axle and it would impact the frame rail on occasion. I had to move it down to the side of the housing.

Looking at your pictures, I think you used an Air Ride Technology kit. I really like the set up for traction as well as the ride and handling.

Trees
Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Trees...mine may have been copied after AirRide kit, it was a "199.99" Ebay special.

I hear you on the traverse spring setups...my decision was easy though, the original rear was long gone.

I've a few options on the ride height for the rear though, like I mentioned I have 3 more holes to raise the lower shock mount, plus I could opt for another set of longer shocks/springs...these were used and came from a '35 Tudor "show car" that a guy was putting bags on, so I'm only into them for a C-note...but hey, they're chromed
Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

A few Shots of the IFS bolted in...

I have some issues with it, looks like I'm on my own about them since Heidts won't take a return unless it comes from who they sold it to..i/e (don't want to mention the shops name) the dealer I bought the kit from is apparently the "user"...so I have to send my parts to them, they send to Heidts, and Vice-versa-Vice..

I wonder if they were all working for our Miltary Procurment Department at one time or another
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC2608.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	28380   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC2609.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	28381  
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

PS...shop cleanup help desparetly needed, I can't pay much...in fact I can't pay at all, but your help would be greatly appreciated

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.