Rear decklid tip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 10:11 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear decklid tip

I'm VERY happy to have FINALLY figured this out. A while ago I read something Martin wrote about decklid frames touching the outer skin and messing with how it rests. He then said it needed to be separated if it posed a problem. The thing was, I realized in most cases this caused little high spots that can easily be spooned down flat and that's the end of that, so I thought I had it all figured out but there's been an ongoing problem that I never figured out. It was the areas around the hinges. So what happens is when you open the rear decklid it opens pretty violently and when the hinges stop it the decklid wants to keep going in the direction of opening it but the hinge suddenly stops that. What happens is the frame area around the hinge will pull down the skin due to this. I can't count how many times I've had troubles with decklids because of this. You literally think you're going crazy cause if you mud this area it will just COME BACK after opening it a few times and since a decklid is big and your focuses are on the whole decklid you overlook the fact that it's not your work or that you didn't fill it enough, it's moving on you! So the fix is, if you fix it and it comes back THEN you slice the adhesive that bonds the two together and wedge in a putty knife to separate the panels. Works like a charm and it will immediately sort of fix it self and raise by itself when separated. Just thought I'd share that cause it's something that can very easily be overlooked and I've never heard anyone address the issue around the hinge so thought I'd share.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.