Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear diff ID

669 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
Wood Carving
Does anyone recognize this diff? I have no history on this,would like to know what car it might be out of. Was given to me by a friend. Was hoping to use it under my 48 Fleetline. It's a 3.54 gear ratio,GM something or other. Wood Carving

Caramel color

Font Tire Photography Number Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm going to guess it's a '68 or '69 Firebird rear end with a 3.55 gear. You didn't take a picture of the important part. You need to take a picture of the back side of the center casting. A picture of the differential could also help. What is the total width, axle flange to axle flange (no useless backing plate measurements please)?

#3 ·
rear diff ID

I'll get some more photos to ID this this evening.Flange to flange measures 61".Looks like this got some water in it.A couple teeth on the crown gear and on the pinion have some pitting. Is this damaged too much to reuse? I have a pic where I hit one crown gear tooth with some sandpaper.Spiders/side gears look a bit worse,probably need a spider kit,and bearings of course.What do you think of the crown gear? Auto part

Auto part Metal

Wheel Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system Rim

#4 ·
Clean it up and use it. I wouldn't worry about that much rust. I would check the bearings. That kind of rust on the bearings could cause real problems.

If there are < and > arrows on the bearing caps then this is a Pontiac rear end. I don't see c clips on the axles, so that also tells me that this is a Firebird rear end. It looks like someone has installed a later 8.5 cover on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.