Rear Disc brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rear Disc brakes

I was hoping someone here wuold be able to help me with my rear disc brakes.

I have an 81 regal and put a 9inch ford under it two years ago, since that time it has been sitting in garage with no brakes

I have been trying to figure out a way to use crager ss rims and disc brakes, so far no luck as they are not designed for this. I have tried spacers did not work. I was wondering if they have really low profile calpiers somewhere that might work. I dnt care if they are street legal as i only drive it a few times a year so any suggestion wuold be helpful
Thanks
Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Last photo:

Wilwood $$$ has some really low profile calipers and the mounting brackets for Ford 9" rears.

Vince
Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks
I'll have to do some measuring and check into wildwood, and just hope its the most expensive ones when i find them. You know i would have to buy them no matter what price though. i need my car.
Thank you
Old 07-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Joe; homemade setup I used on my coupe for disc brakes :
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=

About half way down page 2 my project journals
Old 07-04-2008, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Just did mine on the malibu, used speedway weld on metric caliper mounts, metric calipers, 88 jeep cherokee rotors.Had to cut the brackets on the bottom to get them at the right hieght for the rotor,trimmed about 3/4 inch off you will see it when test mounting no big deal.Other wise procede as described above in the project journal. Cost $ brackets $9.99 each, Rotors from junkyard $10.00 per pair. calipers $13.95(Napa)=$60.00 rear disc setup for 9 inch.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 AM

rims

I want to thank everyone who has replied to my post I really apperciate the advice and help. I can tell this site has some real knowledgeable people in it. However I left out one very crucial detail when i was talking bout my rims. I failed to mention they are reversed crager ss I know the reversed ones have alot less room on the backside to work with so this might have affected the replies you posted but either way in a couple weeks i'm going to go through and try the suggestions I have gotten so far. I keep you posted.. Any more suggestions i still welcome anytime.

Thanks once again for all the help
Old 07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81buickguy
I failed to mention they are reversed crager ss I know the reversed ones have alot less room on the backside to work with so this might have affected the replies you posted
Some info for you:

Some 14" rims will not clear disc brake calipers (front or rear) because of the overall diameter of the caliper from the centerline of the axle.

Reversed 15" steel rims will not clear rear disc brake calipers if the backspacing is greater than about 2 1/4" due to the dropped center of the rim. They can fit if a spacer/wheel adapter is used.

Standard 15" steel rims will clear rear disc brake calipers with backspacing up to 4 1/2".

I have not seen reversed Cragar wheels, but apparently the same explanation I gave for reversed steel rims would apply.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.