Rear disc Cadillac calipers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear disc Cadillac calipers

For a while I've been posting about my rear disc conversion on my 56 Ford F100. I was having problems with the rear disc working properly. I have the 85 Cadillac calipers with the builtin ebrake. Anyways, I finally got them working pretty decent. I had a 84 Monte Carlo MC mounted to a 8" power booster. Could not get the rear brakes to work no matter what I did. A few people in here suggested going with a 67-76 Corvette master cylinder which I did. I also replaced the line which had a hydraulic brake switch, which is worthless and put in a straight line of brake line. I had to bleed the rear caliper about 8 times before I got all the air out of the lines. I also set the proportioning valve to wide open on my Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. With the Corvette MC, my rear brake are now stopping and actually stopping well without locking up the rear wheels. The Monte Carlo MC would barely stop the wheel and would allow you to turn the wheel by hand with the brake applied.
The Cadillac caliper are very difficult to work with and a pain to adjust. I guess there was a big difference with changing out the MC. I thought I'd let everyone know so when you attempt to do a project like this, maybe this info will help. I need to thank powerrodsmike for giving great advice and kinda helping me through this. 302 for letting me know that many hotrodders choose the Corvette MC for their disc conversions. And anyone else who gave me recommendations.
I was thinking about pulling the high 2.75 gears out since gas prices came down, but with the disc conversion, the entire brakes with brackets needs to be removed to pull the axles. Not sure if I want to mess with that since the brakes are functioning well.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Thanks for the update. I wish more people would do a follow-up on their problems. It would help lots of people, I'm sure.

454 RATTLER

TIME 8:10 am
Temp 40*c
Gas $2.27/gallon
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 AM

i have found with the rear disc with built in emerg brake it has to be applied when parked to keep the pads close to calipher .when you apply the emerg.it takes the play out of the system its kind of a ratchet system.if you never use the e brake the rear brakes will go out of adjustment and not work very well .and when installing you must ratchet them manually so pads just rub the rotor

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.