Rear Drums Overheat & Lock Up/Smoke - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2003, 12:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had a similar problem with my hot rod. The rear flex hoses can cause this and you really can not tell by looking at them from the outside. Usually a bad hose is indicated by lower brake fluid volume when you are bleading the brakes than you are used to seeing. Unless you have just recently replaced them, go ahead and put new ones in as they are not expensive.

Next, your master cylinder can cause this if your plunger does not return all the way back when you let up on the brakes. Each time you depress the pedal you build a little more pressure and in my case the wheel completely locked up and you could not drive the car.

Get on your back in the driver's floor board with a good light and check to see that your rod going to the master cylinder is coming all the way back when you release the brake.(I like to have about an eighth of an inch play in mine just to be sure) If not adjust it until it does. There may be a return spring that is broken in there also, so look for that while you are in there.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2003, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

to check proper rod adjustment, look in master cyl , the plunger must just clear the little port hole. if it does not it will hold pressure. if it is clearing, remove rear brake line from master cyl, remove line seat and see if it has a resisual check valve, if it does remove it. but do this after you check that rear brake hose.
hope this might help.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

OK. I replaced the flex brake line. It looked pretty old. I also removed, inspected and blew out the the brake lines that are on the axle just to be sure they were clear. This time when I used the mity vac I was immediately able to pull fluid and bleed the brakes with no problems. I bled over 1/2 a quart through the lines to be sure of no bubbles.

Previously, before I replaced the hose, the mity vac would not pull fluid and the only way I was able to properly bleed the brakes was to have my wife press the pedal to force the fluid through the rear bleeders. So I think this resolved one of the problems with my brakes.

The brake pedal seems different than it was after this change. The pedal seems alot softer at first with slight braking power and it goes down farther than I am used to before I have real braking power. I am able to stop hard without a problem but it seems strange. Maybe the old brake hose was restrictive and made the brakes seem stiffer before. Not sure.

I drove my Camaro around for an hour today and I got on the freeway for 20 minutes at 65-75 MPH. I stopped and felt the drums. The right rear drum was cool. The left rear drum was very warm but not hot enough to cause the brakes to bind or smoke. So I still am frustrated and I am not sure why this is occuring. If I had pressure in the rear brake line you would think that both drums would be hot.

I am going to drive it for a week or so and see what happens. I think I will also check the master cylinder as suggested. Thanks for all the input on this. It really helps. Keep it coming if you have any more ideas.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 02-16-2003, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

joe, sounds to me like you found the problem. when you have a restriction , the pedal will be harder than normal, so it should feel softer. make sure adjustment on warm wheel is not to tight. also recheak cool wheel, make sure there is no air. small suggestion! remove master cyl cover, then open right bleeder screw, watch for bubbles, then do the left side. all brakes will bleed themselves. i do this alone every day. if you drove your car that long and it did not get hot, you must be close. good luck.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.