Hot Rod Forum banner

rear end for 23 tbucket

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jprowse00 
#1 ·
i'm building 23 "t" need to know of a ford 8 or 9 inch rear end i won't have to narrow! on a budget!any help will be recieved!car will have coilover shock suspen.and a 15" drive shaft ,one sided panard bar.i plan on using 4 link system both front and back!
thanks in advance.
bobby

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: bobby jones ]</p>

#2 ·
bobby, i am also building a T-Bucket and like you am also on a budget... i plan to use a 9" ford rear end , i have one from a 66 bronco. it measures 53 1/2" outside to outside on the bearing flanges. so there will be more width added for the brake drums and axle flanges. these are 28 spline axles and small bearing housings. the problem i see with the fords is the pinion is not centered in the housing, it's offset about 4 inches or so. with a transverse (buggy spring) it may look funny unless you have the pinion centered by shortning one side of the axle tube.
i also have an 8"ford out of a 71 mavrick, if you like, i'll measure it and see what the dims. are...it's a "donar" car and it's being junked.
good luck...., baby huey

#3 ·
The early Mustangs had the narrowest rear ends 52"I think. You're right the center section looks kinda funny if it's not centered, especially in a T Bucket. I cheated, I narrowed my housing myself and bought Dutchman axles for it. I'm also building a T Bucket. On another subject. Do you guys go to the National T Bucket Alliance Web sight? If you like buckets this is the place to go, a great bunch of people there and always willing to help. I'm a member there and I highly recomend them!!

#5 ·
bobby, i measured the 8" rear end in my mavrick "donar car".. here is the measurements: inside to inside on the brake backing plates measures 49". outside to outside on the brake drums measures 57" , thats to the wheel flanges outside to outside. (71 ford mavrick,8" ).
hope this helps you out pal.."baby huey"

#9 ·
Wrenchturner nailed it.....the '57 thru '59 Ford Ranchero, station wagon, and retractable hardtop convert used the 28 spline axles, had the larger bearings, and measured 58" over the brake drums. I built quite a few dirt track cars using these. Also, the pinion is centered, not offset.

#10 ·
Originally posted by bobby jones:
<strong>i'm building 23 "t" need to know of a ford 8 or 9 inch rear end i won't have to narrow! on a budget!any help will be recieved!car will have coilover shock suspen.and a 15" drive shaft ,one sided panard bar.i plan on using 4 link system both front and back!
thanks in advance.
bobby 74/78 MUSTANG II ,V/8 -CAPRI SAME ,HAD A NARROW 8" ,ALSO MONARCH-GRANADA , LINCOLN VERSAILLE ARE NARROW 9" ,57 FORD IS THE NARROW 9" THAT LOOK GOOD ON 30'S FORDS ,GOOD LUCK , O-K TO BUILD IT ON A BUDGET , BUT BUILD IT NEAT ,AND SAFE !!DOESN'T COST MUCH TO BE NEAT AND TIDY , TAKE YOU'R TIME ,ASK QUESTIONS ,LOOK AT THE BOOKS , GO TO THE BIG SHOWS .. HAVE FUN ... JIM PROWSE , ONTARIO CANADA..

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: bobby jones ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.