Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rear end
Thread: rear end
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 06:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey, 38Special, I think you'll find the answers to your questions on Fatman Fabricators page, he list a group of rearends and the widths of each. I personally think you need to measure to the outside of the brake drum where the back of the wheel will contact the brake drum. This will give you the total outside dimension you need (somewhere around 60" I would suspect)and you can determine the backspacing you will need for your rear wheels (somewhere in the neighborhood of
3 3/4" on an 8" wide wheel I figure to give you the offset you will need to put the tire under the fender without rubbing inside the fenderwell or frame rails. I have a '40 Buick coupe and I use a 10 bolt GM rear from a '73 Nova. The 67-69 Camaros are also the same as well as the ealier Novas. The deminsions listed above and the set up I use are what I have described and what works under my car. You will find many other rearends, GM or Ford that will work. Just don't get too wide or you will have to jack the rear of the car up for the rear tires to clear the rear fenders because it's too wide to fit under the car. I know you have seen this before...it looks like crap...and no reason to do it, just get it right the first time and you wont have to deal with it. Hope this helps...PACO