Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear end bounce on a 4x4

997 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Vander23 
#1 ·
I have a problem maybe someone can help, I have an 85 chevy 1/2 ton with 4 inch springs, add-a-leaf and 4 inch blocks and 3 inches of body lift with 40/17-15 ground hawgs, The problem I am having is with the right rear tire. It bounces going down the road. I have changed the rear axle twice looking for the prime gear ratio but everytime I have no luck and that tire still bounces It even did it when I had 33's on it. i have heard something about leaf springs "wrapping up" But I don't know if that applies. This wheel thing is very annoying. any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Are you still using the same rim as before?
If you were experiencing axle wrap it would mainly be during acceleration and deceleration and jump, you would also have a loud clunking noise.
SOMEHOW block the frame up so all four tires are off the ground, have someone start the truck and put it in gear, then check everything moving.
It sounds to me like you have a bent wheel, since you have changed both the axle AND the tires, the only thing left in this equation is the wheels, if you changed them also then I have no clue.
What "prime gear" are you looking for, fast-highway-or crawl, and what have you put in already?

#3 ·
Yeah the wheels are different, the gearing I came up with was 4:56, I had 3:73 with the 33's and the truck moved a long just fine with that on the highway but was lacking in the mud, I put 4:11 in with the 33's and it was just fine then I went up to 40 inch tires and the drivetrain was suffering so I put the 4:56's in and ended up with a decent combination of highway capability and mud rolling ability with not to much power lost on the bottom end that i got with the 3:73 and 4:11 gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.