Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear End Conversion?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if there was a cross reference site that I could use to see which pozzi rear end would fit my 72 chevelle.
Or does anyone know off hand?
Its a 72 Malibu with a 383 stroker. 12 bolt one wheeler peeler.
Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Guys.

Mike

#2 ·
What gear ratio is in it? If it has a 2.73 or 2.56 then you afre going to have to find a used 2 series Eaton Posi. If it has anything between 3.07 and 3.73 then you can use a used 3 series Eaton or get a new 3 series Eaton Posi. If it has the thin 4.11 to 6.00 gears then you are going to need a 4 series Eaton Posi, new or used.

All of the Chevy car 12 bolt rear ends use the same internal parts, Chevelle, Camaro, Nova, Impala, but finding a used one in a salvage yard will be almost impossible. The 12 bolt was only made from '65 to '72, and just about every one has been snatched up. If you can use the 3 or 4 series then I reecommend just getting a new one. Tom's Differentials has good prices on the Eaton Posi and he can get you the shims and bearings that you need to install it.

If you are wanting to change the complete rear end then the '68 to '72 Chevelle, El Camino and '70 to '72 Monte Carlo are the only direct fit 12 bolt rear ends. The '65 to '67 Chevelle and El Camino 12 bolt rear ends are 1 inch narrower, but still bolt in. They will also bring a higher price.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.
Ill chedk around locally for a rear end with the specs you stated.
Another question:
Im not much of a differential guy...
Can I just swap out the internals of the existing rear end and make my current one a posi? or do I need to get an entire new one?

Thanks,
Mike

#6 ·
Most people seem to want to go to Summit or Jeg's for rear end parts. I recommend Tom's Differentials, Randy's Ring & Pinion or DTS for these parts. They are not just some people sitting in front of a computer reading what is on the screen. They know rear ends and will get you exactly what you need at a good price. They also have better parts that Summit and Jeg's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.