Hot Rod Forum banner

rear end and driveshaft

708 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flyfisher 
#1 ·
I have a 85 s10 Blazer that came with a v6 and its got the stock 3 43 gears do you guys think it will hold up at the track if it hooks hard the truck has a mild 355 th350 stage 2 shift kit and a 2500 stall. Is it a good idea to shorten a drive shaft my self or just have it professionally done?

#2 ·
My brother and I have done a few 350 S-series conversions. My brother did an 84 S-15 Jimmy (his pride and Joy) and he got the shaft professionally shortened. no vibration and a nice fit. It cost him $150.00.

I found a drive shaft the correct length at the scrap yard for one truck. I found and modified the Yoke for another conversion (the shaft originally came off a dodge). Finally I shortened a shaft to fit, but it vibrated a little and I could never balance it perfectly.

If it were up to me, I'd have it professionally done. Unless of course you have a lathe capable of turning a drive shaft and you could balance it yourself.

My brother's truck had the same set up as you: 355 with a lumpy cam and some trans. work. The original gears (3. something) lasted for two years after the conversion. He took the gears out of a Z28 when all the teeth sheared off the original set. He's been running for about 5 years now on those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.