Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rear end gear ratio
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

rear end gear ratio

Trying to figure out rear end gear ratio without takeing rear end cover off. Went on youtube and got some instructions. Couldn't remember how to do it. The video I watched showed to jack the car up and roll the rear wheel over ten times and count the number of times the driveshaft turns. In this paritcular video the drive shaft turned 48 times when the tire was rotated ten times thus being a 4.89.
I jacked my car up marked the driveshaft and the right rear wheel( both wheels of the ground) rotated the wheel ten times and the drive shaft turned 12.2 times. This comes out to a 1.21. I talked to friend of mine and he said one wheel needed to be on the ground. I let the car down and jacked up the left side. Rolled the wheel ten times and came out with the same thing. I let the car down and jacked up the right side. Rolled the wheel 10 times and came out with the same thing. I don't understand what is going on. If I roll the wheel over once the driveshaft turns over approximately one time. Can someone tell me what is going on?