Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rear end gear ratio change = spedo. cable gear change. help? turbo 350
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 AM

Last journal entry: How sweet it is!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear end gear ratio change = spedo. cable gear change. help? turbo 350

hey guys and gals!

Just wondering if anyone here has changed a spedo. cable gear before? I changed the gear ratio in my 79 TA. i went from 2.73 to 3.73 gears. waaaaaaaaaaay more bottom end pop. what a world of difference.

Anyways......

since the change, my speedometer is waaaaaaaaaay off. Incorrect reads big time. I realize the solution is to change the plastic gear that is attatched to the spedo cable and resides in the tail shaft of the tranny. My Haynes manual for this car actualy shows 2 plastic gears for the turbo 350. one gear is attatched to where the spedo cable goes into the tail shaft and the other little gear looks like its located above the spedo gear.

Onto to my questions:

Is this little gear easy to change? Is it as simple as disconnecting the drive shaft, popping open the tail shaft cover and installing the proper plastic gear?
or is it much more involved then that? does just the 1 plastic gear have to be chnaged? or do both? lastly, how do i know which gear to order? I realize that they are color coded (red,brown, etc...) which one is color coded for 3.73? or will my dealer know that answer?

looking forward to any input

thanks gang