rear end gear recommendations for 327? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rear end gear recommendations for 327?

I have a 68 chevelle with a .40 over 327 sbc
291 heads 2.02s
60102 voodoo cam
shorty headers
g team single plane intake
670 holley vac sec
hei distributor
th350 trans automatic

running stock 8.5gm 10 bolt rear end no posi not sure on gear, should be 2.30s or something highways gears nothing beefy, what would you fellas recommend for my current set up? I was thinking 3.55s or something in that ball park, does this sound about right?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

These guys are good but a couple things more are needed info wise. Planned usage i.e. street cruising, strip racing or combo of both, as well as rear tire size and current stall on your converter. Here is a link to a calculator that will give you a pretty close idea of what each ratio will give you for RPM's at what ever speed you put in.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx

HTH,
Tony
Old 09-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Yes 3.42s or something in that range would work well but as stated above more info would be nice, cause all this really depends on what your driving plans are going to be. JMO

Is this going to be a cruiser or drag car or both ?
Cole
Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

gears

thanks fellas, and here is more info. to be more specific

converter is rated 1800-2000 with th350

tire height on rear is 275 70 R15, so would that be 30.16 tire height?
245 60 R15 on the front

This 68 chevelle is going to be a a driver not a drag racer, but I would like to have a little more grunt off idle, but also not kill my mileage either, something in between since I don't have an over drive trans. This is my first real build and did not take into account I should have started at the rear of the car first.

Ford Junkie I went to the site but was not sure how to figure out R&P ratio and AOD? This is all new to me, I think I got the tire height 30.16?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

>>>>This 68 chevelle is going to be a a driver not a drag racer, but I would like to have a little more grunt off idle, but also not kill my mileage either, something in between since I don't have an over drive trans. This is my first real build and did not take into account I should have started at the rear of the car first.<<<<

This happens alot, no big deal just a pain when you realize the cam you selected is a dog with the current gear you have. From the spec's I see on that cam it should be pretty nasty in a 327 as it will act like a bigger cam in less cubic inches. 1400 to 5700 is based on a 350 build. It probably will wake up around 2000 and start pulling from there in the 327. This is just guessing on part so take it for what it's worth.

>>>>Ford Junkie I went to the site but was not sure how to figure out R&P ratio and AOD? This is all new to me, I think I got the tire height 30.16?<<<<

You got the tire size correct. Now go to the top row of boxes and enter 3.42 in the ratio box, enter 30.1 in the tire size box then enter your speed in the last box, then click solve.

2548 rpm's @ 65 and 2156 rpm's @ 55

Changed gear ratio too a 3.73 and got 2779 rpm's @ 65 and 2351 @ 55

mileage is probably headed for the toilet.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

I understand now, I feel kind of stupid! Ratio was my new gearing I was looking for, got it. Well I am going to be doing a lot of highway driving so maybe I will stick with what I got for now, until I blow that stock rear end
And yes it does pick up around 2000 rpms like a raped ape. Plus some loss I am sure on the bottom end with that single plane intake. But sure puts a silly grin on my face when the secondaries open and the top end pins you back in the seat
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Glad you got it figured out! Took me a couple of tries too to make my head understand how to get the answer I was hunting. I'm not real computer smart.

I would say Cole hit it pretty close with the 3.42. That would put you right on the bottom of your power range @ 55 mph. Just remember your moving a lot of car with a small engine so it has to be set up in it's power range for a good performance feel.

Be safe and don't feed the bears out there,
Tony

Editted called cole cobalt

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.