Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear end gear swap ,

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Hogg 
#1 ·
i just got a 1989 rs camaro with 456 gears and a mini spool. im looking for a 3.73 and posi wheres a good place to get one from without breaking my pockets? 7.5 inch 10 bolt i think its 28 spline.

#2 ·
Quick's Performance is reasonable priced and sells quality parts.

This thread should be over in the RearEnd/Trans section. But your post ilicites some questions. The non preferred 7.5" 10 bolt takes a lot of crap for not being a true hot rod piece. Trust me, the crap it takes is not undeserving. BUT, they work pretty well for stock to mild builds and can be a way to save a buck on a budget car/build. Tell us about your build, plans(goals), motor, and transmission.

#10 ·
If that is your tire program, then a 3.23 is a good all around gear. You could even get away with a 3.08. But if the tires become larger than stock, then larger numeric number gear ratios will be needed. Come up with a tiure size prior to spending a bunch of money on gears and diffs.

FYI - last I checked, 24" wheels with skinnies is probably not considered in the 'daily driver' realm.:thumbup:

#6 ·
kinda need more info from you.
you might not need another gear.
if you do have a 700r4, then a 4.56 gear with the o/d trans will be a good match with 26" , 27", or 28" tires. i ran a 4.56 in my daily driver truck with 26.75" tires and got a .73:1 o/d gear. its works perfect for my driving style.
need to know engine mods, trans, and tire height.
could jus need to pull the mini spool out for some testing. that mini spool will be hard for a daily driver, dangerous too, IMHO.
1st, you have to figure out where you're at, THEN, you will know which way to go.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
Quick Performance has the best prices on quality parts that I have found. Their complete kits are just a little more than what the differential would cost by it's self most other places. They sell the Yukon Dura Grip and USA Standard installation kits, which are both good products. The brand of gears varies, so ask when you contact them. I prefer the US Strange gears when they are available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.