Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear End Gears

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Twistedwrench 
#1 ·
What Gears do all of the gear ratios mean like i know there are street gears and race gears and stuff like that but what is which

#4 ·
There will be more torque with lower gear ratios(numerically higher). However your final drive will be affected. If you gear too low, your top speed will suffer, and your engine will be screaming at highway speeds. Hope I helped...

#5 ·
If your shooting for what is most common. A lot will give you their own opinion on what is street/strip ext. choosing the right gear for you can be broke down into a science based on engine/transmission/weight/tire size and so on. Your driving habits also play a great deal into this. Like are you more in tune to run the street. Or the strip. Or both. The most common aftermarket gearing you will find in street driven heavy iron is 323 / 355 / 373 and 410/411 after that you are heading for mainly strip. Most gear manufactures web sites will give very detailed info on choosing the right gear. Not to mention the tech lines. Richmond I have always found to be outstanding with customer service. Hope this helps. I am sure you will get many opinions on this question. It is one that can start a great debate. Lol . may your axles turn freely ……twist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.