Rear-end Gears howcan you tell what # - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002, 03:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Rear-end Gears howcan you tell what #

How can i locate the numbers on the rear end of my 71 chevelle? what are the stock gears? what are good gears to use for street roding but still able to cruise on the highway?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 04:22 PM

if there si no tag on the rearend, then you'll have to pull the pan off. after that count the ring gear teeth then the pinion gear teeth, divide them and you have your ratio.as for gears for your application you need to take into consideration what tranny you will be using. i use 3:41 gears in my jimmy with a 3speed auto,it revs at 2700 at 60 mph and it's fairly decent on the street. but,a 700r would bring me down to 1650 on the hiway and still keep resonable street performance.with a stout smallblock you could get away with using 3:07 gears and get decent fuel economy.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:32 PM

My experience with a 72 Monte {same frame}, they usually have 273gears unless It was a big block car then It should be a 308. As for carrier size they made a 10.25 10.5 If your lucky 12 bolt. As for gear I'm partial to a 355 with a healthy 350 engine. But your cam guy will tell you which way to go with that selection.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:32 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

When you get the cover off, rotate the ring gear until you find 2 numbers stamped, a example is like 41 11 which divided is 3.73.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:37 PM

I have never seen a stock gear set that did not have the ring and pinion tooth count stamped on the outside of the ring gear.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

You can get your rear ratio without popping-off the cover. just jack-up one rear tire of the ground and count how many drive shaft rotations it takes to do 2 tire rotations. If you have 3.08s you will do just over three rotations, and 3.73 will get 3 3/4 rotations. It's that easy.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:12 PM

the easiest might actually be to get on the highway and get your rpm's at a known speed (for example, 3,000 rpm at 60mph). then come home and look at your tire size. go online, look up your transmission ratio in 4th, look up rpm calculators, and plug in the numbers. it's the couch potato way of doing things. and there are about five long-ish threads about gear selection in the drivetrain and transmission section of the BB. good luck.
-z-
Old 12-09-2002, 02:59 PM

your car probably has 308's or something similar. I'd go with a gear ratio that is in the upper 3's. I recently put 4.11 in my chevelle, and it really sucks on the highway (rpm's are really up there) i think i'll get something a little smaller for next season. good luck, Matt
Old 12-09-2002, 05:26 PM

chevy rear end housing have a # code stamped on the axle tube on the right side outer part of it. read the code and then look up what was there from the factory and all pertinent info.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.