Rear end hum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear end hum

Hey guys I just installed and 8.8 in my buddies 65, and I had to change the pinion bearings. I reused the same pinion shim so I didn't change the gear pattern at all. I'm getting a hum in cruise that goes away on acceleration. my buddy says its the axle bearings. He said that if the pinion bearings are bad, then the carrier and axle bearings are probably bad too. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I wouldn't blame the axle bearings right away, especially if you just changed the pinion bearing. I'm not saying it isn't the axle bearings but, did you torque the bearing? Using the same shims is OK if you use a back lash gauge. Shims will crush and change your tolerances, after market bearings can be out just a bit from OEM. So many variables, always use a gauge.

Hope this helps
Ray
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Last photo:

Depends on how bad those pinion bearings were and how long they were run. It is entirely possible metal from the pinion bearings have damaged the axle bearings. That is why when I replaced pinion bearings I also replaced axle bearings at the same time. Generally though noise from an axle bearing will not change or go away with throttle manipulation.

Vince
Old 10-19-2012, 06:49 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Bad axle bearings will be easy to spot because the axles will be worn or pitted. The axle bearings in the 8.8 run directly on the axles, so the axle is the inner race for the bearing. Any wear from the bearings will be easy to spot on the axles.

The question that needs to be asked is how did you set the bearing preload on the new pinion bearings? Did you use a new crush spacer? Did you crush it correctly? How did you measure the bearing preload? This is most likely where your problem is.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
67MercCat (10-22-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Bad axle bearings will be easy to spot because the axles will be worn or pitted. The axle bearings in the 8.8 run directly on the axles, so the axle is the inner race for the bearing. Any wear from the bearings will be easy to spot on the axles.

The question that needs to be asked is how did you set the bearing preload on the new pinion bearings? Did you use a new crush spacer? Did you crush it correctly? How did you measure the bearing preload? This is most likely where your problem is.
Like this? My son's Crown Vic, it cr@pped out 400 miles from home, destroyed the seal and spewed all the lube. You could grab the brake rotor and rack it up and down 1/4".

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2135.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	68485  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

Yea, that's an extreme case, but a good example.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

well fellas it turned out to be a loose pinion flange. I didnt set the proper pinion bearing preload. I need to get a hold of an inch pound torque wrench so that wont happen again. I tightened it up, until all the slop was gone, and took it for a spin. All the noise went away. Now I just gotta keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesnt happen again. If it does, theres a different problem.

As for the axles, the old 4 bolt axles were smooth, so i determined that the bearings are fine. i replaced them with a passenger side aerostar axle and driver ranger axle that were smooth too. The swap was worth while.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

I always use red Locktite on the pinion nut. I've had a few that backed off on me and cost me some profits.

Tags
ford rear gears diff 8.8

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.