Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear end identification help

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BOBCRMAN@aol.com 
#1 ·
I have a 71 plymouth b body, thought i had an 8 3/4 rear end, but now i am not sure anymore.

i purchased an 8 3/4 rear end for the car, because i wanted to swap with a numerically larger gear. However, this is what i noticed:

On the rear end on my car, it seems almost as if the rear end and the axle housing are one. What i mean is that the rear end is longer, and the bolts to dismantle it aren't until after the axle housing, toward the rear of the car. the cover is also a very small bubble.

However, it seems that on the 8 3/4 that i purchased, the rear end is almost supposed to go straight up to the large cover, where the axle housing is connected to. I thought i had an 8 3/4 rear end. Do I? HELP

#2 ·
8 3/4 Mopar rears use a removeable center section that loads from the front, much like a 8 or 9" Ford or early GM. Not being a real Mopar person I can't say what rear is in your car, but I remember the lower hp. cars used a rear that was originally used in Demons and Dusters only with larger tubes and axles. The Hemi and 440 cars used a Dana 60, this loads from the rear but is a huge rear end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.