Rear End Install Probs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear End Install Probs

Since purchasing my truck last summer (1969 GMC 1/2 ton) the 12 bolt rear end was making noise when I let of the throttle (like jakes brakes). I diagnosed it to the pinion bearing, Which may have been wrong as there was no preload on the bearings as I could move the yoke back and forth when taking apart but I thought I would have a look anyway. This was last fall (I'm slow and the truck is a toy:metal

I changed the 2 bearings on the pinion side and installed a new crush collar with the same shim. When I put it back together I can't get any backlash after tightening the bearing caps on the differential. It is perfect before I tighten them but after it binds. Just in case I mixed up the end caps I tried it every possible way with the same results. I also found pinion gear tooth marks on the diff after putting it together indicating that the pinion may be too far back. But since I only put in one 32 thou shim in I can't see how it could go any further forward.

Any advice before I take the pinion out again and waste the crush collar? Any ditances I can check to verify correctness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

back lash

if you know that the pinion depth is correct ,you can move the carrier to the left by changing the carrier shims left for right. you may have got them mix up. if this doesnt work you will need a shim pack from the dealer.(side carrier sjim pack).measure the shim you have and make up shims to be less a few thousands for the left side and add the amount to the right side.. this will increase your back lash.. good luck.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

It almost sounds like the original problem was the pinion nut came loose or the bearings were completly shot. If it has marks in the carrier that is the most logical cause.

What kind of rolling torque/bearnig preload do you have on the pinion now without the carrier installed?

What does the gear tooth contact area look like, can you post a picture?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.