Rear end for Model A - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM
1931 Ford 5 window

Last journal entry: Door Panels
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear end for Model A

I was told that I can use a 1995 or later Chevy S10 2WD rear that is 54" on my project rod. Is this correct I have seen some on eBay with disk brakes and Emergency brakes cables for around $250, drum brakes w/cables as low as $150. The others a Ford 8" or 9" rears off a Mustang. Can I hear any ones thoughts on this.I have a new chassis so anything is possible at this point. I have a setup for a 4 bar triangulated rear setup. What's the difference in a 9" 8" or 8.8 rear nomenclature?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

A 8 inch Ford has the center section that is removable from the front....the 8.8 has gears that come out the rear......under a bolt on cover.

This is a 8 inch center minus the gears......

Most knowledgeable rodders measure the rear end this way......

A V8 Maverick 8 inch series rear end is 56 inches ......measured the way shown above........and it considered by many to be the best all round rear end for a Model A.......with fenders......without fenders........lot of folks use the 57 to 59 Ford car....it is a 9 inch series rear end and is stronger. It is also 2 inches wider........measured like above....

DEUCE
Old 11-02-2005, 08:25 PM
1931 Ford 5 window

Last photo:

Great

Thanks Deuce,
for the great info and photos, I will be checking out some salvage yards ( junk yards) this week end. What year Maverick's and I know they are hard to find now? I guess I can make up some difference by getting off set wheels when I'm ready.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I used a Chevy 10 bolt off of a 72 Nova on my Model A , it was a little too wide but I ordered wheels with a deeper back spacing to compensate. It worked out just great.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:49 PM
1931 Ford 5 window

Last photo:

Rear End note

What is the measurement hub to hub on the nova rear? Thanks for the info
Old 11-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

You might also look at the '94 and newer mustangs with 8.8" differentials. You can get them with disc brakes and Auburn limited slip center section. 53.5 " wide
Old 11-03-2005, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

A 8 inch Ford has the center section that is removable from the front....the 8.8 has gears that come out the rear......under a bolt on cover.

This is a 8 inch center minus the gears......

Most knowledgeable rodders measure the rear end this way......

A V8 Maverick 8 inch series rear end is 56 inches ......measured the way shown above........and it considered by many to be the best all round rear end for a Model A.......with fenders......without fenders........lot of folks use the 57 to 59 Ford car....it is a 9 inch series rear end and is stronger. It is also 2 inches wider........measured like above....

DEUCE
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

DEUCE

I read your response on this thread about the Maverick rear end. I measured mine from housing flange to housing flange and came up with a figure of about 51 or so inches. Still in the car with wheels and tires on it. I note in the thread that you measured from the axle ends. If you still have the axle housing out and available can you measure the housing end to end and also give me a measurement on the spring perchs, distance in from end of housing? I want to convert my 32 from a buggy spring to paralell leaf and I have heard that the Maverick set up will work, springs and all. I am not impressed with the Pete and Jakes wishbone setup that I have in the car now. Doesn't ride worth a damned. Thanks for your help.

Reflog
Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflog

DEUCE
If you still have the axle housing out and available can you measure the housing end to end and also give me a measurement on the spring perchs, distance in from end of housing?
Reflog

The rear end shown is NOT a Maverick rear end....It is a 9 inch Ford, not a 8 inch Maverick so the measurement you request would not be of any use...

The reason for measuring the way I do is that different cars have different brake drum widths.....and that will throw off the backing plate to backing plate measurement. Some Fords have a 1 and 3/4...others a 2 ...and some are even 2 and 1/4 or 2 and 1/2.

My 32 3W had parallel leaf springs.......if you look closely you can see them at the rear......I am taking all that out and going on coils..like my 32 Roadster. I have never found a set of parallel leaf springs with the right spring rate for a 32....

I am redoing the entire car.....here is a photo taken yesterday.....welding on the frame....

DEUCE....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	7668  
Old 11-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

DEUCE,

Thanks for the reply. I know that the ride won't of Cadillac quality but it would be one heck of a lot better than the old buggy spring. I have tried everything to get that to work and it rides like a fully loaded gravel truck with no travel on the spring set up. Since you measured to the axle flange and got 56" I have to believe that the standard Maverick rear end is about 52" from housing flange to housing flange. I can get a used housing locally and just put in new bearing on the axles, after getting it cleaned up and painted. The rear gears I can just transfer into the new housing so all I need then is the springs, shackles and mounts for the frame (I may be able to make these). I'll see if the guy I talked to about the used housing has them also. Once you get your frame put together with coils, if you remember, send me a photo, I'd be interested in how you approached it. I may look to do that at a later date. I plan on redoing the whole car in a year or so. Right now I need to put my time into getting my new house and shop built so thought that the leaf spring setup might be easy enough to install in a short period of time.

By the way, your car is almost a replica of mine. I filled my roof but I did not chop it. Maybe should have!!! Yours will handle better with the new suspension. What color are you thinking about when you paint it?

Reflog
Old 11-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflog
What color are you thinking about when you paint it?

Reflog
Like Henry Ford said.........any color you want as long as it's black....

This photo is kind of old........but this is the basic " LOOK " I am after. Mine will not have the cowl lights, deck lid handle and will have stock 32 headlights.

It will match my 32 roadster ( ABOVE ) .......hopefully ...
Old 11-03-2005, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

DEUCE,

Good looking cars no matter what shape they are in. Mine is what the previous owner called a "Root Beer" color. It was painted 79 Chrysler Brown. Not a bad color. Not my preference but that may change when I go after it later. Thanks for the info and good luck.

Reflog

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.