rear end mystery - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2002, 09:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question rear end mystery

Baby needs a new pair of shoes! (and axle seals). I have a '64 GM rear end (date code 134)casting #3725899 and 3.36 gears. The information I have found indicates this was probably from a nova or chevy II. I ordered a new set of brake shoes according to this info..news shoes were not even close (wider and smaller dia.) The drums/shoes on it now are 11"x1-3/4". Any ideas as to model(s) this came out of? Maybe the larger diameter drums means it came from a larger model? I'm stymied.

Many Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2002, 04:08 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

The old axle seals will have I.D. nos. on them and should not be that difficult to find. Most jobber parts catalogs have this changeover information.

You have actually measured the brake size, so that too should not be difficult to find in a complete parts catalog.

Once you have found the correct service parts, just record the proper service numbers for future reference.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Rodders are famous for upgrading their rides and this may have happened to the rear end under yours.

I believe that 57 -58 full sized Chevrolets used the size shoes and drums you listed. I had a bunch of 57's years ago.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-05-2002, 08:42 AM

I was beginning to think that may be the case. Tried a different automotive place this time. Helpful guy ordered two different sets of shoes that looked the same, I'll just pick the set that matches. No luck on the seal though. Can't find and number on the axle or bearing (which is still pressed on the axle) The old seals I removed were just big "O" rings that sat in a groove around the outside of the bearing. I went down to the local hardware store that has EVERYTHING, (every town has one of those) but they had no "O" rings that big
Old 10-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Go back to the helpful auto parts house and get him to check and see if the 63-64 Chevy II rear axle seal is the same as a 57 Chevrolet, if so it would be a safe bet that it's the seal you need.

While at the parts house,Offer to buy him a Coke or bring him a hamburger at lunch time......... the helpful guys are getting harder and harder to find.

Old 10-05-2002, 10:16 PM

I may be totally asleep on this but I believe this is a buy a new bearing deal, the bearing and seal are integral on these goofy early rearends. That's why I'm putting a 74 Nova rearend undermy son's 57, better brakes too.
Back to sleep now.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:22 PM

By the way, if you've found a helpful partsman at any parts house, treasure him, feed him, heck, marry him if you have to! These guys are so rare these days, most parts people are dopey kids, that would include 18-35 year olds, who just want a paycheck and couldn't give a happy damn if a customer ever gets the right parts. Sad, but true.
This comment from a retired partsman of 30 years experience. Some of friends are still in the business but the new crowd of do-nothings don't appreciate them...just want that check. Of course, they also don't understand why that old helpful troublesome guy gets a commission check that's three times bigger than theirs either. DUHHHH!
Old 10-06-2002, 06:06 AM

Red face

Thanks for the input guys. I put a triangulated 4-bar suspension in this thing so changing the rear is not an option at this point. My brake parts should be in on Tue. and parts guy said he'll try to figure out the seals from there. I mean cripes its just a big O-ring, if worse comes to worse I'm sure I can find a company on the net that sells 150 billion different kinds of O-rings.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:13 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

[quote]Originally posted by pasadenahotrod:

<strong>I may be totally asleep on this but I believe this is a buy a new bearing deal, the bearing and seal are integral on these goofy early rearends. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he is correct. I have been trying all night to remember this, but it sounds correct. 1957 was a longtime ago, even for me...
Old 10-06-2002, 10:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My 57 Chevy days were a long time ago also. I know you can purchase 9" Ford axle bearings with the seal built in or without.

#904278 is the part # rear axle bearing that I purchased for my 57. I still have the paper. Stupid I know but I set up a file folder for each car and put the papers in it. Still have 5 folders on 5 different 57's. Thus was 30 years ago and I did not purchase a axle seal.......so maybe the seal was built in.

Sorry I could not be of more help. It's just too far in the past.

Old 10-06-2002, 11:45 AM

Thumbs up

Geez I thought I was pack rat. Not stupid at all and many thanks for taking the time to look. This gives me another alternative to explore. Just think of all forgotten knowledge out there.....
Old 10-08-2002, 05:23 PM

Thanks guys! Baby has a new pair of shoes! I was able to just make out a number on one of the bearings and it looks as if this number is for 57's only. Now I know for sure what I'm dealing with.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.