Rear end no oil, big mistake. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 AM

Last journal entry: 1940 toy wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear end no oil, big mistake.

Well i got to take my 48 chevy out for its first highway drive sunday, and did it ever run nice. Steering and ride was perfect, then all of a sudden my rear end locks up at 60mph and sends me to the side of the road leaving about 40 ft of rubber on the highway. I could not go forward so i went in reverse and this freed the rear end. I drove back home in first gear, jacked the car up and pulled the pan. Well i put the S10 rear end in about two years ago, and i forgot to put grease in the rearend. What a big mistake. I was just heart broke after spending 3 years just to get where i was at with the car. As my health is not getting any better i had the local repair shop come and get it. Well they called today and said i was lucky, as all it took out was the pinion bearing and shims, and all the gears are in good shape. So before you take it out the first time check everything, and dont learn the hard way like me. Its so easy to forget the little things as time goes by. At least i can find some humor in it now.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Last photo:

Sorry for your misfortune, you were lucky you did not loose control of the car. FWIW, I would be very suspicious of the gear set being OK. It might be worth the extra cost to install a new gear set at this time vs trying to get a noise out later IMO.

Vince
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM

rear end end

Your not the first person to do something like this, you are however one of the few that would admit to it. A sign of good character!

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscoe
Your not the first person to do something like this, you are however one of the few that would admit to it. A sign of good character!

Best of luck to you.

Right on!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

re: Rear end no oil, big mistake.

Thanks for the nice words guys. Im handicapped so i dont try to let most things bother me. When i started on my 48 in 03 most people said id never be able to do the car myself. Well i did up to this point, so im sure not afraid to tell everyone when iv done something stupid like this. Life is to short, laugh and enjoy it is what i have learned. Theres nothing in the world greater than building your own car. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Glad to hear that your rear end is savable. Also glad to hear you got to take that drive before you lost your sight. Have a great summer cruising with your brother.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
Glad to hear that your rear end is savable. Also glad to hear you got to take that drive before you lost your sight. Have a great summer cruising with your brother.
Well i may get to drive it at least one more time, as it will be done this weekend.Then i will take it for one last spin. I have to go see my eye doctor next wed in Lincoln, as my only eye is getting so bad that i just cant take a chance on driving much longer. I want to, but dont want to hurt anyone. But i hope to still have some fun at a few more shows with my brother. Going to miss all the nice looking girls at the shows,ha,ha. Ill let you know how my last drive turns out ok. Love you all, your the best.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:36 PM

I had a similar occurance,

Back in 1993 I bought a new Chevy C-1500 with a 350, automatic, and 3:73 posi rear.

I get about 5 miles down the highway from the dealer and I hear the rear end starting to howl. So, I turn around and drive back to the dealer. By then it sounds like an ambulance is tailgating me. I mean it is screaming!!!!

Dealer puts it on the rack and tells me they forgot to put lube in the rear-end. Totally bone dry.

I reply okay, things happen. Fill it with lube so I can use the truck and order a new center section.

Oh no. Dealer says I have to make an appointment and bring the truck in so they can assess the damage and order the appropriate parts under the warrantee. Note that this truck has a grand total of 10 miles on it! Now I think an complete center section is not unreasonable. The posi clutches running dry have to be toast and all of the bearings filled with junk but the dealer insists I do the appointment/determination of damage thing. So, I make my appointment, they fill the rear, and I drive of with the truck making a constant moan like my wife when she doesn't get her way.

Couple of weeks later I bring it in expecting to have to fight with them about what an appropriate repair is. Hour and a half later they come to tell me that they need to order a new center section. No problem but I wasted and hour and a half on an unneeded diagnostic, they wasted an hour and a half on an unneeded diagnostic, and it took an extra two weeks to get the parts that they could have ordered day one.

But I do have to say that the dealer has actually always been pretty good about warrantee stuff. When I buy a new truck, I'll absolutely go back to them.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Well all i got my rear end back in the 48 this morning. Still have to have someone help bleed the brakes, then im ready for another test drive. Cost me $258.00 to get it fixed, but i now have a almost new rear end. I cant wait to go driving, and maybe this time ill get more than 1 mile out of town. Im so excited after 3 years of building this car that i will get to put it on the highway and see just how good of job i did. Have to see the doctor Wed, as i have another spot forming on my only and last eye. So it wont be long now before i will have to stop driving. I think i have my mind ready for this, but i may be lieing to myself. Anyway today i will get the 48 out and enjoy every moment of it, im like a little kid with a new toy today. I will let you all know how it goes ok.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Get you a one man bleeder or a univac. They work and you do not need help to do it.

Of course I always like it when wifey is pushing the pedal for me. It is the only time she will do what I say. LOL
Old 06-23-2007, 03:16 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Yup been there , Done that. Even worse one side did not get the oil good thing I had the windows down & my 1st 100 mile paranoia @ 100%. Gawd awful sound the bearings make when it tries to seize the race to the tube (full floater}

I sure hope all goes well with your eye problems they have some amazing advances in eye ball tech now a days. I sure hope they can fix you up.

Good Luck.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
Yup been there , Done that. Even worse one side did not get the oil good thing I had the windows down & my 1st 100 mile paranoia @ 100%. Gawd awful sound the bearings make when it tries to seize the race to the tube (full floater}

I sure hope all goes well with your eye problems they have some amazing advances in eye ball tech now a days. I sure hope they can fix you up.

Good Luck.

R

Wow did i have fun driving my 48 today, ran nice,smooth ride and had a smile the whole time. Went about 15 miles, as im not allowed to drive on the highway anymore, but i took a highway south of town that only farmers use. So i think i did a good job building my car. Im happy now.I know they have amazing advances, but 4 eye doctors have been telling me that what i have cant be repaired, and we even sent records to Mayo Clinic and they said they could not help me. So i will live with whatever comes. Thanks for your caring though,its people like you who help to get me through this. But i had the time of my life today and only wish i could of had some good old 50s music turned up loud and i would of had it made. My having fun even brought a smile to my wifes face, as she knew how much this car meant to me, and she has givin up alot to let me get my car to this point.Maybe i got a bit overboard on how i felt, but im sure alot of you have felt this same way. Thanks to all of you for your help on this project, and God Bless you all,i have made so many friends on this site. Im now a happy old school hotrodder. I will keep posting on this site as long as i can, and if you get tired of me just tell me to shut up for awhile, as i dont get offended.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Man, you're an inspiration to anybody who ever thought they couldn't do something or thought they had it rough. Thanks for posting and I wish you well.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

I've done that...
I was flat towing a Chevy II from WA state to TX a few years back. Picked it up at a friend of mine's place.

From a post several years ago on another forum:
"Built the towbar for the Deuce today, swapped out wheels and tires, wired up lights, gathered all the parts for the car.
Took off about dark to come back to my in-laws place. Going to leave in the a.m. heading back to TX.
Was towing the Nova along, kinda getting the feel for the load, keeping an eye on things, etc..
Friggin car starts jumpin around at about 55 mph. Fairly violently.
Get it pulled over and open the door to look back while I'm literally dragging the car.
rear wheels are locked up...
get underneath and look, nothing obvious. Jacked up the rear and determined it wasn't the brakes. Felt the rear housing by the pinion and it was smokin'.
No lube in the rear. Thought to check it about 2 weeks ago before I left for the trip but never put it on the "to do" list.
Only made it about 10 miles before the pinion bearing siezed.
So I got it off the road, sorta, and proceeded to pull the cover off to take out the spider gears so it would turn.
Damn crosspin bolt was on the pinion side of the rear, buried, where I could not get to it.
Oops, what to do now.
I took off the diff caps, and pried the diff back as far as the axles would allow.
Played with it long enough to get to the bolt. Got it apart finally and pulled the spider gears out so the axles were free.
Dropped the car for a minute and went to the nearest town, got some lube, and returned to fill rear, and away I went.
What a pain in the rear. Literally.
So hopefully that will be all the drama I'll have.
Already toasted the rear in the thing before I ever got it running.
Well since its broke it's time to upgrade.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Anyoldchevy.

Don't give up

I didn't.

there is a place not far from me I think its mid Florida eye clinic. & this guy is supposed to be a word leader & innovator of alot of the tech now a days its worth a shot!

I have found with lawyers & doctors you keep trying new ones until you find one who really is what they claim to be.

which is one of my favorite sayings

Everyone is a arsehole until proving otherwise

If you would like I will get you the phone number & possibly a web site .

or how about this I go to the local jail house & pluck some eye balls right out of a death row~er miserable face?

I think they should turn the prisons into a salvage yard for people in need.

BIG BUCKS!!

The human body parted out ...now that could solve the USA's deficit!

Serious let me know & i will look up that number I want to go there to get my astigmatism fixed.

Yes please keep me if no one else up dated .moral support is about all I can offer.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.