Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear end noise need HELP!!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mx jim 
#1 ·
I have a 76 chevy 4.10:1, 12 bolt rear end in my 70 4x4 pu. we get a fluttery/vibrating sound when I turn the wheel to the right when going about 60-70 miles per hour. we rotated the tires thinking that was an easy thing to eliminate, that doesn't seem to be the problem. We are going to pull the cover on the rear end and check for any movement left to right in the ring gear and if it is ok then I would think next is to check the carrier bearings, not sure how to go about this??? Could a axle bearing cause this type of problem??? We are not sure what would cause this type of problem and any suggestion would be appreciated thanks James.

#2 ·
mx jim said:
I have a 76 chevy 4.10:1, 12 bolt rear end in my 70 4x4 pu. we get a fluttery/vibrating sound when I turn the wheel to the right when going about 60-70 miles per hour. we rotated the tires thinking that was an easy thing to eliminate, that doesn't seem to be the problem. We are going to pull the cover on the rear end and check for any movement left to right in the ring gear and if it is ok then I would think next is to check the carrier bearings, not sure how to go about this??? Could a axle bearing cause this type of problem??? We are not sure what would cause this type of problem and any suggestion would be appreciated thanks James.

as enjenjo suggests on the RRT forum , check the axle bearings. I'd check them all and the wheel lug nuts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.