Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rear End Questions
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425HP Z28
the rear end was in the car when i bought however i didnt know it was out of a 71 chevelle until i put it on a lift so i have no clue who put it in and i have no clue on how to check the gears i know how to take the differential cover off but when it comes to checking /fixing them im clueless
if it is not posi you can jack up on wheel with the free to turn turn the tire and wheel one revolution count the number of times the drive shaft goes around and double the number of times the drive shaft rotates for a good idea of the ration. if the drive shaft goes around 1 3/4 then you more then likely have to 3.50:1. if it posi you can mark the drive shaft and the tire and have someone roll the car forward while you look and 1 rev of the tire and 3 1/2 times of the drive shaft will be 3.50:1 ration. good luck you can remove the diff cover and count the teeth on the ring gear and divide by the teeth on the pinion gear for and exact amount. Ed ke6bnl