Hot Rod Forum banner

rear-end for rambler

18K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  farna 
#1 ·
I have a Rambler wagon with a 493 hp sbc w/350 turbo & 2000 stall. Currently it has 15 x 7 wheels and p215/60r15 tires in the rear. It's just a matter of time until the rearend lets go. I'm not sure of the gear ratio ,but it's around 4.10. The current rearend is 56" outside drum to outside drum.I would like to get something around 52" so I could go to larger wheels and tires, and a mini tub. Every website I go to breaks everything down to pieces- brakes;housing;3rd member;etc. What is so hard about listing a price for a complete rearend? I don't want to spend a week filling out specs. for every website I visit. I know someone will say that they need all that info to get a price,but it seems like the housings are the same price; the 3rd member is the same price, and on and on. Just a ballpark figure would tell me if I can afford it or not. Is there a conspiracy going on?Could be aliens.

#5 ·
My Rambler wagon came stock with a 6 cylinder and 3 speed auto w/a normal driveline and rear. When I had the driveline made I just took them the original driveline and the front yoke for the 350 turbo and I had a driveline made. Took 2 days and cost around 150 dollars, including new u-joints and tube.

#6 ·
Okay, now remember, RAMBLER is the manufacturer's (AMC) car line name, not a model! There were different model Ramblers. Sounds like you have an American, but they changed over the years. So what year and model? That helps! A Ford Ranger or GM S-10 pickup rear axle fits the American real good. Tread was 55" for 58-69 models. Rather than a narrower axle, try deeper offset wheels. Sounds like you want wide ones on the back, narrower on the front.

All the salvage yards list the parts separately because they can sell them that way. Call and ask for the price of a complete rear end, brakes and all. They will usually give you a break on that because they don't have to handle the individual pieces. If you don't mind pulling parts yourself see if there is a Pull-A-Part or something similar near you (www.pullapart.com -- southeast and some midwest). They list prices on-line. Last time I got a rear axle (a while back!) they charged the listed price for an axle assembly (around $75 -- everything but the springs and shocks!).

#7 ·
I was hoping to find something narrower without having to shorten the rear. I have custom wheels that are a Summit brand and it doesn't show what I need for backspacing. I think I will call and see if it's possible to get custom offset. I am retired on disability with a bad back among other things so I am at the mercy of my friends for the heavy work, and Uncle Sam for my money. I'll let you know what happens Thanks for your help.

#8 ·
Stan, what model Rambler do you have? Pre 93 Ford Ranger axles fit the American, Explorer axles fit the big cars through 1966. 90-92 Rangers with the 4.0L have the 8.8" axle, others have 7.5". Sounds like you need an 8.8" since you have over 400 hp and wider wheels and tires. The original axle for the 196 six cylinder is an AMC 15 7-9/16" ring gear, slightly larger than the Ford 7.5", but roughly the same strength. 1964+ big Ramblers (Classic, Rebel, Matador and Ambassador) used the larger AMC 20 8-7/8" ring gear axle with the six, which is strong enough. All others (Javelin, American, Hornet, Gremlin, etc.) used the AMC 15 with all six cylinders and the AMC 20 only with V-8s.

There was a 1966 only economy fleet Classic that used a 199 with AMC 15, but I've never seen or heard of one existing. Probably did, but fleet use generally meant taxis or some big company's "run-around" car -- stripper that was run into the ground then ditched.

#9 ·
My car is a 1965 Rambler American model 220. When I was trying to figure out the gear ratio, I jacked the rear up and turned one wheel; the other wheel turned in the same direction, so I guess it has a posi in it. I lowered one side and got the ratio. Ratio appears to be around 4:10. It must not be working great because when I floor it , only the driver side wheel spins. What's weird is the fact that when I take off at full throttle, the car likes to get sideways thru 1st and half of 2nd.

#10 ·
If it's getting sideways the posi is working. It might slip until it reaches a certain speed or warms up -- might have a good bit of wear in it.

90-92 Ranger 8.8 seems to be what you need, or at least the only thing I know of that's strong and will fit without narrowing. Unless you find an early Mustang 9" -- those fit too, but are pricey!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.