Rear End Selection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2001, 03:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Rear End Selection

I am in the process of updating my street rod and want to go to a posi rear end with 3:70 gears. I currently have a GM 10 bolt with 2:73 gears and measures 54" hub to hub, tight fit. I can not find any markings on the axle shaft tubes, just the casting numbers on the housing. The rear end should be a late 60's to early 70's year model. Is there any way I can identify it from the casting numbers?
I am building a 383 "stroker" that should put out 450 hp/tq. and would like to beef up my exsisting 10 bolt to withstand this much power if this is possible.
If not, then I guess my next option would be a Ford 9" but I have invested in Hallibrand wheels with a Chevy bolt pattern so I need to retain this wheel pattern.
Of course I can have one custom made, but that is very expensive, any suggestions?

Thanks for any help
Rex

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2001, 10:00 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Rex Tribble:
<strong>I am in the process of updating my street rod and want to go to a posi rear end with 3:70 gears. I currently have a GM 10 bolt with 2:73 gears and measures 54" hub to hub, tight fit. I can not find any markings on the axle shaft tubes, just the casting numbers on the housing. The rear end should be a late 60's to early 70's year model. Is there any way I can identify it from the casting numbers?
I am building a 383 "stroker" that should put out 450 hp/tq. and would like to beef up my exsisting 10 bolt to withstand this much power if this is possible.
If not, then I guess my next option would be a Ford 9" but I have invested in Hallibrand wheels with a Chevy bolt pattern so I need to retain this wheel pattern.
Of course I can have one custom made, but that is very expensive, any suggestions?

Thanks for any help
Rex</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-27-2001, 02:14 PM

If you have a 2.73 GM rearend now, you must change housings.GM has 2-housings for 10-bolt, 1-
houses higher gears 3.08,2.73,2.56. The other houses 3.23,3.55,3.73. You better to look for another rear end, swap meet,wrecking yard.I had to switch,sheared the ring gear.I got lucky and found a 3.55 limited-slip for 50.00. Good luck
Old 12-29-2001, 08:20 AM

Talking

You can buy an alburn gear limited slip unit from Jegs for around $450 then you need a set of richmond gears and someone to set it up properly . I would guess you could get out under $800 . Hes right about different gears and parts . If you buy the alburn gear unit for a 3:73 or lower gear it will fix that problem . One other way to get away cheaper is find a 3:73 ten bolt from a later model camaro and exchange the carrier and gears . Gm made the actual axel housings the same its the part that carries the ring gear thats different . The offset is greater on higher gears to compensate for the bigger pinion gear , lower gears have smaller diameter pinions , so if you use the high gear carrier with low gears the ring wont mesh with the pinion and if you use a high gear with the low carrier the thing wont even go together because the ring is so close to the center of the rear it crashes with the pinion ... just make sure you get a complete rear thats a big ten bolt like the camaro or nova rear you have . 54 in rears are from novas and camaros .. I havent seen any exceptions . Unless you have a big block thats modified a ten bolt with a 3:73 will stand 500hp because the torque is less than a big block . I havent had any trouble with mine . I would stick with what I have if I could . You can get a narrowed ford 9 that has the moser axels with both gm and ford bolt patterns , but money is a big factor there , by the time you get all of the parts you will eat way over 1500 for all new stuff , I have seen rears set up ready to go at car shows for 500 to 600 but you never know what your going to get .. good luck Stinmar1

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.