rear end sliding out of place.... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNnova View Post
Thanks for all of the responses guy. The 8.2 rear had multiple leafs also... And to inform everyone on the drive shafts hitting the road, mine didn't because I have a loop to catch the driveshaft.

Thanks
Good thing you had a loop..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Sounds like the center pin holding the Leaf springs together is too big or too small.
When the Springs sit flush with the spring perches that are welded to the axle, does the center pin fit in the hole on the perch? Is the center pin approximately the same size of the spring perch hole or is it much smaller?
Can you post some pictures?
Thanks,
Bobby
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM

hi guys, I will post some pics later, but the pin is a bit smaller than the hole in the perch, but the rear sits about 3/4 of the way down onto the pin, not all the way... I ordered some new installation pads today that should be coming tomorrow.

thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

The pin in the leaf should be a slip fit into the hole in the axle. If it's sloppy get a local machine shop to make a thick washer that eliminates the slop.

Did the pin through the springs shear off? Having replaced leaf springs on a '70, '72, '76 and '77 Nova and a '69 Camaro, all of which are about the same design, I don't see how the rear axle can slide more than a tiny bit as long as the pin is intact and the hole is still in the retainer plate? As long as the u-bolts are tight the pin won't come out of the hole.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-20-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM

hey guys, just thought I would do a followup,

what I did was, just cut down another leaf of an old spring pack, bought a new leaf spring bolt got a new set of performance polyurethane pads with a washer to slip over the pin and it fit really nice. then I just added the other leaf that I cut down to increase the spring pack from 4 to 5 leaves, then tightened em up now everything works like a charm.. thanks again for everyones input.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.