rear end sliding out of place.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rear end sliding out of place....

hi guys, me and my father just got done restoring my 71 nova, and I drove it around the block a few times and everthing was perfect until my dad really took it for a drive and we noticed some really weird noises coming from the rear of the car.... we thought it was just the posi, but it turned out that when we got it home and it got into the drive way, the driveshaft just fell out and the rear had completely shifted off the little pins in the springs, so I reinstalled it thinking it was a fluke and my dad wasn't so sure that I reinstalled it right, but I took it back out anyway.... ran amazing till about mile from my house then the rear just shifted back drive shaft fell out, and had to get a tow.....so what is the proper way of installing this rear so it wont shift? my dad examined the new springs and diferent rear that we have installed and come to find out, the little nub/pin on the spring that the rear sits on is to high and the rear only seats down about half way without the insulation pads, and he is sure that that rear should seat all the way down on those pins...... so I don't know what to do... the little insulation pads that go between the springs and rear seem right, but the rear just keeps shifting! this is a 8.5 10 bolt we have in there now....

thanks in advance....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Insulation pads?
Shouldn't be anything between the perches and the spring. The bolt head should be all the way inside the perch hole.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM

Question: you said that you have a 8.5 in it now. Was this rear an 7.5 before and you upgraded it to an 8.5. I've owned a 70 years ago and still own a 77. If you put a different rear in you may need a slightly longer drive shaft. How far did the drive shaft go into the back of the tranny? There is a difference in the 7.5 and 8.5.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM

hi,
it actually had an 8.2 rear in it that we replaced and we had the driveshaft shortened so it would work.....
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Do not drive the car until the problem is found and repaired. Posting pics is the easiest way for everyone to help you determine what the problem is.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 PM

You better have someone who has some experience in changing rear ends take a look at what you did. You can't believe the problems and headaches you'll have if that drive shaft drops out of the tranny and catches on the roadway.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwl View Post
You better have someone who has some experience in changing rear ends take a look at what you did. You can't believe the problems and headaches you'll have if that drive shaft drops out of the tranny and catches on the roadway.
Saw the aftermath of that a couple of years back on Easter morning. I was going north on I-75 early in the morning and came upon the scene. Cops and fire trucks on both sides.

A Ford pickup with a camper laying on it's side and a rather large boat/trailer wrapped around an overpass upright. Pieces everywhere.. Driveshaft wadded up and sticking out the side of the truck.. I know sombody had a real bad Easter sunday..
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

isolators

Some cars used rubber isolator spacers to quiet down noise. The springs should have a tie bolt that seats firmly into the rear axle. You might need to drill out the axle housing to match your springs and make sure that if you don't use isolators the u bolts will torque down not run out of threads and be loose. My brother used to break the spring tie bolts when racing his old compact SBF fairlane, He ended up drilling out the holes in the springs and using galaxie bolts, eliminating the rubber isolators and making a steel spacer. then he could get the u bolts tight with a few threads left . With out the rubber it hooked up a lot better off the line.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I seen a guy flip a 65 Nova on the roof because the rear end shifted back on one side... When I got to the wreak, I went up to him and asked what happen and he said he was just going down the road and the car just flipped over,,,

Then I went to the car and the rear end was back on one side with the drive shaft out the trans..

Drive shaft loop's work... Ever car should have one..
Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 AM

how can the drive shaft fall out? is bolted to the pinion yoke
Old 06-19-2013, 04:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post

Pinion yoke slides in and out of the trans. Due to up and down motion/forces of rear end. Pull driveshaft back and yoke will fall out..

I once bought a Mercury Comet that had "trans problems"
yoke was in trans, but just barely. Replaced both broken rear main leafs in the springs and drove the car for years.

Also had another one. A customer called in with a 73 Nova that wouldn't move after the lady turned into her driveway. The front of driveshaft was laying on the ground..
It seems she had a friend/neighbor install new rear springs in the car.. Either wrong spring or backwards. The trans yoke was only in about 1/2". Enuf to move the car, she had been driving it for a couple of days, but fell out when car was at a driveway angle. SHE was lucky!!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNnova View Post
hi guys, me and my father just got done restoring my 71 nova, and I drove it around the block a few times and everthing was perfect until my dad really took it for a drive and we noticed some really weird noises coming from the rear of the car.... we thought it was just the posi, but it turned out that when we got it home and it got into the drive way, the driveshaft just fell out and the rear had completely shifted off the little pins in the springs, so I reinstalled it thinking it was a fluke and my dad wasn't so sure that I reinstalled it right, but I took it back out anyway.... ran amazing till about mile from my house then the rear just shifted back drive shaft fell out, and had to get a tow.....so what is the proper way of installing this rear so it wont shift? my dad examined the new springs and diferent rear that we have installed and come to find out, the little nub/pin on the spring that the rear sits on is to high and the rear only seats down about half way without the insulation pads, and he is sure that that rear should seat all the way down on those pins...... so I don't know what to do... the little insulation pads that go between the springs and rear seem right, but the rear just keeps shifting! this is a 8.5 10 bolt we have in there now....

thanks in advance....
Does your car have mono leaf or multi leaf springs? Im guessing that the
8,2" was a mono leaf rear and 8,5" is multi leaf rearend.
Spring perches are taller in multi leaf rear and if you put mono leaf springs to it you might have problems you described.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

crooked Nova's

I've seen quite a few old nova's Dog Walk, I heard that a batch of frames were welded wrong and the rear axle did not set square in the frame . I saw a 58 chevy upside down, rear end loose. the Factory weld on the mounting bracket for the link broke , the spring was in front of the axle and pushed the link into the pavement.
If you have a Mustang 5.0 Fox chassis you should check under the rear seat where the suspension mounts to the Floor I have seen cracks in that area.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 AM

Thanks for all of the responses guy. The 8.2 rear had multiple leafs also... And to inform everyone on the drive shafts hitting the road, mine didn't because I have a loop to catch the driveshaft.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
It's not bolted to the trans,, Let your rear end move back, then you will see it come out the trans real fast..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.