rear end strength - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: will it hold
will it hold 2 40.00%
will it brake after 3-5passes 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.c.
Help me understand. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but is an 8.5" 10 bolt as strong as an 8.5" 12 bolt?(Prolly not, but close?)
There is no 8.5" 12 bolt, as someone pointed out, its 8.875" in the 12 bolt. I would also like to politely disagree with Triaged... the number of bolts on the cover is inconsequential. A GM axle is named for the number of bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier, period. A good example is the 12-bolt that I had in my 73 wagon. It was a 12 bolt, with most internal parts interchanging with other 12 bolt axles, but the cover was held on with 10 bolts. To call that axle at 10-bolt would be ridiculous because the strength, parts interchange, and ring gear are all 12-bolt pieces.

There were 10-bolt axles with 9, 10, and 12 bolts on the cover. There were 12-bolts with 10, 12, and 13 bolts in the cover. But the important nomenclature refers to the guts; if its 12 inside, its a 12-bolt axle, regardless of how many bolts are on the cover. This is a common misconception and often times cause for debate, but it started out because most GM axles follow the bolt-naming rule; a 10-bolt axle almost always has a 10-bolt cover, so people assumed that it was called a 10-bolt because of the cover, but its just not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 05:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

I have been told that by many people I respect. I still go with the number of bolts on the cover. My 10.5" 14-bolt has 12 ring gear bolts and 14-bolts on the cover. I sure wouldn't call it a 12-bolt. There is also the 3rd gen f-body 9-bolt that has 8 bolts on the ring gear. Being made in Aus. by Borg Warner I'm sure doesn't help things. Just like all rules of thumb it doesn't always work so I picked the side to stand on that I liked the best and have had the most personal experience with.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

AAM just lists them by ring gear size which is often a better way to differentiate between axles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.