Hot Rod Forum banner

rear end swap from a trans am to a chevy malibu

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  stonedchihuahua 
#1 ·
There's a guy who wants to sel his rear end that he rebuilt that came out of a trans am. He said it would fit my malibu. But he cut off the leaf springs. Is it possible to put in my car? Can you put coil/control arms on it? Also how wide can i go on my car? Thanks guys

#2 ·
i have seen a chrysler rear in a '79 malibu, don't know who did it.
I wouldn't try it because you need to weld the top link brackets onto the cast iron part of the housing. Unless you're very good at welding you might want to skip this deal.

#3 ·
if your Malibu has a 7.5 inch rear as most of them did, then you can do as I did to my cutlass. I bought a 83 trans am limited slip rear end and just swapped the guts. this made things much easier needless to say. 7.5`s are weak rears, but if your not loading it with extreme torque they`ll survive. if your more interested in this type of swap, leave another post and i`ll give the codes for posi traction diff`s from t/a`s and Z28`s from 82 to 87.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.