Rear-end/Tubbing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2002, 08:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Rear-end/Tubbing

Okay, my fiance' just purchased me a '67 Ford Mustang coupe for my birthday. I've got many ideas and aspiarations. One item in which I'm totally clueless is 'tubbing' the rear-end. I know what it is, however nobody I know has heard of it nor can they reference me to anybody that does. I ordered a Jegs catalog...is that a good start? If anybody can supply me with information, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2002, 09:56 AM

Last journal entry: some more body shots
Last photo:

I've got plenty of pictures of stuff that i've done. If you like I can e-mail you some. If you have any questions you can call me (704)932 7557 call in the evening. Lou
Old 11-01-2002, 10:17 AM

Yea, I'd love to see pics...please e-mail whatever you like. What vendor could supply me with tubs and what other equipment would I need for this? Is/are there any instructional manuals that I may be able to read up on?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Question How much to tub a 1986 camaro?

I need someone to be able to give me an estimate on how much it might cost to Tub the rear end of my 1986 Berlinetta Camaro? I want to run some P275/50D-15 on the back... and I know it wont fit until I tub them, right? I also want to tub them because I'm going to use my camaro for racing pretty soon and I'll get bigger slicks put in later. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 black camaro.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	3896  
Old 02-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

One vendor that carries lots of parts for a back-half conversion is Art Morrison Enterprises (www.artmorrison.com). They even offer how-to videos on various topics, including rear suspension clip & tub installation.

Another source of similar components is Chris Allston's Chassiworks. However, don't buy some components from one place and others from the other unless you really know what you're getting, as details like the size rod ends that are used vary from one source to another.

It's also possible to fabricate everything you need yourself if you have decent fabrication skills. Camaro racer, since you're in K.C., most of the metal that you might need is carried at Metal by the Foot on Truman Road. The trouble with giving you a cost guesstimate is there are so many variables involved, like how much you purchase already fabricated vs fabricate yourself, and how much or how little of the existing rear suspension you wish to retain. I've done them for less than $500, but also done others for probably three times that, with the difference being the scope of the work. In Morrison's catalog, complete rear clips can vary from $800-2500.

For NHRA super stock class racing, the rule book shows diagrams of legal tubs that retain factory chassis components, re-located inbord. (In this scenario, you'd expect to expend relatively little $ in materials, but a lot of labor.) On the other hand, most super category racers and many bracket racers install a fabricated rear suspension along with tubs, which can include either leaf spring or coil springs and choice of slapper bars, ladder bars, or 4-link suspensions. See why there's so many choices that it's hard to guess a price? However, take heart, after a few days of studying the Morrison on-line catalog, you can probably get a much better idea of what you waqnt and need. By the way, be sure to include subframe connection in your plans, regardless of what you decide. If you have some specific questions, feel free to drop me an email or a post.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Powderbill -

You live around here in KC, MO? You said that you've done them before, would you mind taking a look and give an estimate on what you would charge to do it? I want to keep the whole rear end the same... nothing changed in the back except tubbing it out if possible? I know little about things, and I'm trying to find things out... My uncle races camaros, actually all 4 do, lol... so camaros run in the family. But please write back, thanks for your help ...
Old 02-10-2005, 05:09 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

Camaro Racer, I do live just north of Kansas City, but I just work on cars as a hobby, not professionally, and I've presently got all of my garage space occupied with a major project, so I think it would be doing you a dis-service to take on your tubbing project.

If you really want to hire this done, I can give you some contact information of a professional shop or two in the area. However, because of the amount of labor involved, I'm afraid the labor cost will be substantial.

Do you have a place to work on it yourself, and do you have access to a welder and a sawzall? If so, then I can describe the general procedure for you, and I might be able to mail you an old morrison catalog that goes through it step by step, if I still have it.

Let me know how you'd prefer to proceed, and I'll do what I can to advise you.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Powerbill -

Yes i do have a garage to work on my car and also I do have the access to a sawzall.. Any information would be appreciated, thanks very much!!!

If you have the internet my AIM screen name is PHSPowerLiftin23 .... or email of thunderback23@hotmail.com I can send you my address also if you still have that book, I would appreciate anything you can do... thanks again

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.