Rear of engine oil leak 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2003, 01:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear of engine oil leak 350

I am trying to figure out which plan of attack to use here. The pan gaskets were new a few months ago and the motor never leaked alot of oil but lately I am getting oil dripping out of the flywheel inspection cover from the little hole at bottom. I got underneath it this morning and removed the cover to have a peak. The clutch is dry as is the flywheel but the inside of the bellhousing is wet. Something is throwing it around in there. I looked up between the flywheel and the motor and it appears to be dry. There is oil around the rubber gasket at the back of the oil pan. If it is a leaking pan gasket how would the oil get inside the bellhousing? When I put the new pan gasket on I used silicone on both sides of the cork but did not use any on the rubber gaskets. I usually do but for some reason I forgot to. If it was a rear main seal, where would the oil drip to? I also thought that if the back of the pan was leaking it is possible that it's running down the tin cover and catching the lip on the flywheel inspection cover and in. Just trying to avoid pulling the trans and clutch etc if it's not the rear main seal. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

first off, be positive it`s oil and not gear oil, the smell should tell the difference, gear oil after many miles of use gets thin like motor oil does and looks almost the same. if it is gear oil then I`d say the front seal in the tranny is leaking, check the gear oil level in the trans and see if it`s low, if it is it`s a good possibility it`s the seal. if you think you should change the gear oil I`d recommend moroso`s "climbing" gear lube, this stuff climbs the gears with a sticky action that helps the shifts become real smooth and almost effortless, it also reduces trans wear. being it`s thicker it may reduce the tranny leak all the more.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Last photo:

Agree with Doblevision, but you mentioned the pan gaskets were new, why? I would suspect the rear main oil seal.

Vince
Old 10-19-2003, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Sorry I should have said that before. I did suspect the trans at first but I changed the oil in the 3 speed recently and replaced the rear seal also. The trans is tight. I checked the level and it's fine. The oil that is coming out is definatly not gear lube. I changed the pan gaskets because we had the engine out replacing the cam, intake etc etc and repainted the motor. Replaced all the gaskets. When a rear seal leaks, where will the oil end up usually?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM

im in the same place the rear pan seal is leaking like a sive i its ok on start up then beginns to flow/ what pattern of leakage may identify a rear oil pan seal leak
Old 07-13-2004, 04:32 AM

Last photo:

my 327 leaked all the time. we changed the seals 3 times and it wouldnt stop leaking, the oil senser was lose on top where the manifold was and the oil went all the way down to my tranny. i got that tight and good but i still had a leak. i looked at my oil filter and it had not been put on right, the seal on it bent to the side when we put it on, maybe you should take a look at thses 2 places and see if that could be it, and maybe your manifold might be leaking from the back aswell. but it dosent hurt to take a look.

Good luck

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.