Rear Frame Rails on a 66 Mustang Coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear Frame Rails on a 66 Mustang Coupe

Back Story:

One day about 10 years ago on my way to work I filled my tank in the mustang. As per usual about 3 miles down the road she stuttered and stalled. Rust in the fuel filter.

I ordered a tank and parked at my bosses farm. Pulled out the old tank and looked down. To my horror I can see day light through the rear frame rails. I pulled out the catalog and ordered up a set of rear frame rail extensions. I could weld a little, I figured I'd just cut these out and weld in some new ones. I grabbed the sawzall and tore out those rusty frame rails.

I quickly found out I A) Cut out a little too much and B) Couldn't weld for ****.

Fast Forward to last year.

Car is now safely in my garage instead of my ex-bosses field and has some additional front loader bucket decorations to the rear end. He moved it around the field by strapping it to his front loader. I've gotten much better at welding and have the time to do something about it. So I put it up on jack stands, took a bunch of measurements on the frame, and then compared to the chassis assembly manual. Tacked in the rails. Measured again. All looked good. I finished the weld and measured diagonals again... looked great. I tacked in the rear trunk support and started fitting the tail light panel...

The rails went in... are the same height, but about 1/2 inch too high. The place they tie into the taillight panel is off by 1/2 inch.

Is it possible that during the final welds, it pulled the end up that much? It could very well be I used the wrong hole on the frame to take measurements from as well.

What's the best way to fix it?
Cut the welds out and try again or cut a relief to the rear of the welds to drop them the 1/2 I need....

I thought about replacing the whole rail so I'd replace the rear torque boxes too, but that's $500 for the pair... rather use that cash elsewhere.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

A picture would speak a 1000 words.

When the car was picked up with the FEL and pushed around the sub-frame could have moved that much. Try pulling it down that 1/2 by pie cutting the frame rail and pulling the rear frame down to the floor with a come-a-long. Re- weld by tacking, try panel on, and then weld up before letting it go.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Can you just relocate the taillight panel and make it work..??? Might be an option..what you have encountered is a quite common issue in restoration..

Sam
Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'll grab some pics this evening when I get back into the shop

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.