Rear Lights Won't Turn Off- - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear Lights Won't Turn Off-

Hey forum- this site has always been great-
One day recently my front headlights began remaining on, and I would have to unplug the battery when not driving. When I happened to replace my rear light sockets and bulbs after this started, then my rear lights wouldn't turn off, and headlights DID work normally. I got some kind of grounding issue. I checked for any wires hitting metal or anything weird, and couldn't find anything.
I haven't replaced fuses yet, although they all look good.
Any ideas would be great! Don't want to be pulled over.

Thanks in advance!
Jesse

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

lights camera acti.....

what kind of car are we talking about here? does it have daytime running Lights?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

75 Camaro

Oops! Sorry, it is a 1975 Camaro, with the pull out knob to activate lights. My left rear light has both brake and regular light stuck on, and right rear is only driving light on. I had an accident last year, after which I had some electrical issues- my interior gauges still do not light up. I unfastened and re bolted my starter a few months ago, but never disconnected any wires.
Hope that helps- thanks for the response
Old 07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMan
Oops! Sorry, it is a 1975 Camaro, with the pull out knob to activate lights. My left rear light has both brake and regular light stuck on, and right rear is only driving light on. I had an accident last year, after which I had some electrical issues- my interior gauges still do not light up. I unfastened and re bolted my starter a few months ago, but never disconnected any wires.
Hope that helps- thanks for the response
The rear lamps are either tail lamps or brake lamps OK. Now you need to go back and double check the bulbs first . Make sure there are not crossed filaments, you know a broken filament laying across the other and lighting both at the same time.then verify that your wiring is correct as i suspect it is not.maybe im wrong.The dash panel or instrument cluster as it is known as, gets its power from the tailamp part of the headlight switch. It then goes through a fuse Probably 5 amp in the fuse box then on to the dimmer control and finally the instrumentation bulbs.so check the fuse . next pull the headlamp switch and look for melted wires.I suspect there will be some.This vintage also uses an aluminum harness part way to the rear lights of the car and they were prone to breaking as aluminum becomes brittle and cracks. IT transitions back to copper in the trunk. Whatever body damage you had may be very close to some of your wiring woes so it doent hurt to look.good luck

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.