Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear Main Expansion Plug?

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  OKC79Monte 
#1 ·
This is my first engine that I am rebuilding on my 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - The Engine is the original 305ci that GM put in the car.

Last year I posted some requests for info on checking clearances, etc. I got the information that I needed and ended up taking my block to the Machine Shop to get some work done (Freeze Plugs, Vatted, bored .030 over, new cam bearings, etc.)

I had to postpone assembly until now because of school and trying to graduate - so here I am stuck once again.

I read an article talking about a expansion plug under the Rear Main Cap? here is the link:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/t...rtblock/83818_block_plug_basics/photo_05.html

I took the block out of the engine bag the Machinist gave it back to me in and peeked, but I didn't see one where the rear main would go. Am I missing something? Do all blocks have this?

The machinist replaced all of freeze plugs, oil galley plugs on the rear of the engine, expansion plugs under timing cover that I have seen for sure. But for the life of me I can't see where there was an expansion plug in the rear main area. I don't recall the engine having one when I disassembled but I could be mistaken.

Help!!!!!

Sincerely,

A Rookie Rebuilder

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.