Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rear main seal
Thread: rear main seal
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl1
i want to replace the 2 pc rear main seal in my 350 without removing the crank. how do i do this? what kind of seal works best? thanks
You did say if the engine is in the car. If it is and the cross member is in the way of dropping the pan, you will need to remove the thru bolts from the motor mounts, the trans mount bolt and jack up the engine about 3-1/2 inches using a piece of 2X6 or other block of wood between the jack and pan, after raising the engine, put the thru bolts back in the mounts and it will hold the engine up.
You will probably need to remove the fan or shroud. Rotate the damper so the timing mark is at the bottom, this will allow the pan to clear the crank. Remove starter, pan bolts, oil pump and rear main cap. The top half of the seal can be removed by tapping the end of it with a soft punch and grabbing the other end with plyers. The new seal should come with a thin piece of plastic to insert part way into the top half of the seal recess so the new seal can slide past it to avoid damaging it on the sharp metal edge. There is a flat spot on the cap next to the seal that requires a thin amount of sealer. Oil the new seal and install it so the ends don't line up with the main cap split, about 1/4 inch should work. Don't know if one brand of seal is better than the other. I would recommend a Felpro one-piece pan gasket. You really should get a shop or repair manual of some kind that covers this job. Torque spec for the main cap is 70-85 ft lbs and 60-70 ft lbs for the oil pump.....Doug

Last edited by artsman; 10-13-2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: add info