rear oil seal help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Big Al

Wiki Edits: 0

rear oil seal help

please help me in removing rear oil seal from my 1969 buick 350 engine. i dont want to remove my engine.can you tell me the best seal to replace? i really appreciate all the advive that i can get from my hotrodder pals. thanks alot "BIG AL".

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

What rear seal? Oil pan seal, engine rear main seal or ......? More info please!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Big Al

rear engine seal

Thanks For Your Replie 73oldsman .its The Rear Oil Seal On My Engine.a Mechanic Adviced Me That On A 1969 350 It Has A Rope Seal An You Do Not Have To Remove The Engine. Give Me Some Advice On This Mr 73oldsman. Thanks For Your Help "big Al".
Old 01-24-2006, 07:03 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Not entirely sure on your car,but on some of the older fords with the rope type seals,you have to remove the oil pan as well as the rear main cap,on some of them I've found it just as easy to pull the tranny and replace with one peice seal and speedy sleeve if necessary.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:09 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Unfortunately, the free online Autozone manuals for Buick only go back to 1975 so this link may not apply...but it does include the '75 350 so I'm guessing it would be correct. You'll soon know when you pull the main cap.

Also, the AutoZone site has now requires a login to use their manuals. The login, however, does not require any personal information other than your email address, so it is very easy and non-intrusive to get a name and password to enter the site. Because of the login, I'm not sure you will be able to access the manual so I am also including the rather lengthy description included in the manual for the seal replacement.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800b1426.jsp

Here is the actual install proceedure:

Except One Piece Seal

Remove the oil pan. Remove the oil pump where required. Remove the main bearing cap.

Pry the lower seal out of the bearing cap with a suitable tool, being careful not to gouge the cap surface.

Remove the upper seal by lightly tapping on the one end with a brass pin punch until the other end can be grasped and pulled out.

Clean the bearing cap, cylinder block and crankshaft mating surfaces with solvent. Inspect these surfaces for gouges, nicks and burrs.

Apply a light coat of engine oil on the seal lips and bead, but keep the seal ends clean.

Insert the tip of the installation tool between the crankshaft and the seal in the cylinder block. Place the seal between the crankshaft and the seal of the cylinder block. Place the seal between the tip of the tool and the crankshaft, so that the bead contacts the tip of the tool.

Do not remove the tool until the opposite end of the seal is flush with the cylinder block surface.

Remove the installation tool, being careful not to pull the seal out at the same time.

Using the same procedure, install the lower seal into the bearing cap. Use your finger and thumb or a wooden hammer handle to level the seal into the cap.

Apply sealer to the cylinder block only where the cap mates to the surface. Do not apply sealer to the seal ends.

Install the rear cap and torque to specification.

Install the oil pump and oil pan.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Installing the lower main bearing oil seal

Fig. 2: Cutting off the lower seal ends

One Piece Seal

Remove the transmission from the vehicle.

Using the notches provided in the rear seal retainer, pry out the seal using the proper tool.

Care should be taken when removing the seal so as not to nick the crankshaft sealing surface.

Before installation lubricate the inside and outside diameter of the new seal with clean engine oil.

Install the seal on tool J-3561 or equivalent. Thread the tool into the rear of the crankshaft. Tighten the screws snugly, this is to insure that the seal will be installed squarely over the crankshaft. Tighten the tool wing nut until it bottoms.

Remove the tool from the crankshaft.

Install the transmission.

Fig. 3: One piece seal removal notches

Fig. 4: Installing the one piece seal

One Piece Seal Retainer and Gasket

Remove the transmission from the vehicle.

Remove the oil pan.

Remove the retainer and seal assembly.

Remove the gasket.

Whenever the retainer is removed a new retainer gasket and rear main seal must be installed.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Once the oil pan has been installed, the rear main seal may be installed.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:12 AM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

Depending on room to remove the oil pan you may have to
jack up the engine a bit also . Other than that they sell the tool/s
to do the rear main seal job , get a good book & tools . Don't be surprised
if you have excess crankshaft end play or worn bearings, that may be part of
the leaky seal.the hardest part is if you don't have a lift.
I can vouch for that.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.