rear running lights/brakelights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 08:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

rear running lights/brakelights

The other day it rained pretty heavy and my trunk leaks in the car, i dont know if a wire or 2 got wet and did something, but now my rear lights/brakelights dont work at all. Is a fuse bad or what ? i checked the balbs they all look good, all the connections are fine ect.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2005, 09:28 AM

disregard this post, i fixed the problem, there was paint on the fuse, cleaned the paint off and it works fine now. wasnt making good contact
Old 08-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Lights

Doc here

Thanks for posting the fix for the next guy...

You should repair that trunk leak ASAP as you will end up with a continuing saga of electrical problems at the least...that water will turn to corrosion, and attack each system at random at anytime...

At worst, you'll end up with an air conditioned trunk pan..requiring a lot of labor to cut and weld a new one back in...Compared to gluing a new gasket in now..few minutes work and parts cost.

Doc
Old 08-07-2005, 03:37 PM

Well i thought i fixed it, guess not. Im assuming its a ground issue but i dont know where the grounds are for the rear lights/brakelights. The bulbs arnt bad, because my hazzard flashers work, but rear running lights/brake lights = nothing.

Btw the car is a 67 camaro, coupe
Old 08-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Camero

Doc here,

Your grounds SHOULD be right at the light buckets themselves. Run a jumper cable from the Battery Ground to the light bucket and test again, If that one comes on, you need to learn about grounding basics, and apply it to your car.

If it does NOT come on, than turn on the lights, and using a Volt ohm meter set for 14 or higher DC volts, remove the bulbs and measure the voltage at the lamp socket pads..

if zero, go to the fuse measure there on both sides..if you have 14 volts on one but not the other, replace the blown fuse.

If you have 14 volts all the way through the fuse, Pull up the left side door carpet gutters, and remove the backseat and clear out the trunk..follow the harness back from the fuse buss to the rear and inspect for cuts or loose plugs.

If the harness is Good, then remove and ohm out (or replace) the headlight switch.

67 Camero Lighting Diagram:

Doc
Old 08-07-2005, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Be sure to pull your fuses or measure voltage across to test them, not just a visual inspection... three different times I got suckered by a fuse that looked good, but apon removing it noticed it had burned up on the far side of the fuse, not the middle, so it looked good, but wasn't. The end cap just fell right off the glass...
Old 08-07-2005, 06:11 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Camaros are plagued with tail light problems because there is no ground wire on them running out to a ground lug/screw.

The sockets only get their ground through the prongs on the socket. The grounds rely on these prongs and the 6 threaded studs that hold each tail light assembly in place.

I would add to the details on how to check this ground, but you said something that I think is key.

Did you say the hazards worked?

If so, I would say your problem is up front. The same wire from from the passenger compartment is used for brake lights, turn signals and hazards. So if your hazards work then it suggest that wire and ground is doing its job.

On thing central to your problem is the turn signal switch. Your brake switch, turn signal flasher and hazards all feed into this switch. So your signals and brake lights come out of your turn signal switch and run to the back in the same wire. You might try wiggling your turn switch to see if anything changes.

So confirm if if in fact your hazards to work on the rear of the car.

Rich

Last edited by rrmccabe; 08-07-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:39 PM

well we replaced the headlight switch, the brakelight switch.. and still no rear runnings lights or brake lights, turn signals/hazzard flashers work fine. Starting to drive me insane.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

prior post

Doc here,

re~read my prior post, use the schematic and the steps for testing power at the sockets as I outlined, you'll find the problem in short order...

Most likely you'll find the trouble at the turnsignal switch or harness at the lower end of the column...

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 08-08-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Lighting problem

Troubleshoot the problem. Dont throw parts at it. It makes no sense that the running lights and brake lights dont work unless there is a blown fuse. Get out a meter and trace the wires to see where the voltage is missing. The flashers and the brake lights go back on the same wire, so it is unlikly that there is a broken wire. Double check your symptoms and re-start your troubleshooting. Did you replace the bulbs, they should be 1157s if someone replaced them with the wrong type (single filament) you get bad results when testing. If you dont have a meter, get one. It probably cost tless than what you have already spent on un-needed parts. These 60 vintage cars electrial systems are simple. Pull the seats and carpet and check for pinched/broken wires. Some cars have a connector where the wires enter the trunk area also. This is a good spot for corrosion.
You have the diagram, get a meter and trace it out.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

One more thing

Do the front running lights work
Old 08-08-2005, 02:31 PM

*sigh* it was the fuse, looked perfect to me, put a new one in and its fine. O well atleast now i have a new headlight switch and brakelight switch, no biggy. thanks guys. and thanks doc for that diagram, and to all the others who helped.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Well good luck to you but I dont think your problems are over.

There is no single fuse that would create the problems you have. As an example, brake light AND turn signal. Rereading your post I am not sure if your running lights were an issue as well.

Like I said best of luck to you.

Rich
Old 08-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Just my 2 cents and I'm no expert on anything but I always check my fuses with a test light that way you know for sure if its blown. Glad it was an easy fix.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.