Which Rear is safer, Posi or Not??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I thinkin if a person is seriously scared of a car, they shouldn't be driving it to begin with. I see nothing good coming of it. You get scared, you panic, you lock down the car, slid into whatever, maybe you'll get hurt, Hopefully you won't. But if you can do something to prevent it, which takes forethought and the ability to make on the fly decisions, You can't do that under a panic situation. You might be able to keep outa trouble

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 12:22 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

yea but 98% of the driver around here are that way i dont understand how they have a DL every one is in a hurry to get there faster they are just gonna get someone else killed but most dont care

ive been reard twice and clipped once got my back all screwed up everytime someone elses mistake so raise the price of gas im staying in a full size truck i dont beleive in accidents they are wrecks some one not doing their job

DLs should be tested like firemen or cops make it as hard to get as a building permit
unfortunately like cops and fire men there is only a few who really have what it takes

sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-28-2005, 03:12 AM
74 NovaSS

Last photo:

C'mon

Hey, if this guy is genuinely scared of flipping a car at 45 mph, he should not be driving it. Do you know how hard it is to flip a car without even hitting anything? especially a relatively low-sitting muscle car. Muscle cars are to be enjoyed, not to be terrirfied of.

Also, what is wrong with having the back end fly out a little bit when going over some loose gravel? I think that's fun as hell. As long as there are no cars around you, tear it up man. If you want the most safety, get a friggin crappy car with 5-star whatever rating. Leave the hot-roddin to the rest of us rednecks.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

this thread seems to be getting off track. Direct criticisms on a person's driving skills or lack of is not necessary

People should know their limits on driving a vehicle and drive within those limits for everyone's safety.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:

You guys also half to relize, right now, im 19 when i was 17 i got my first car a 1969 firebird, a complete rustbucket, I figured thats how I learn

I spent 2 years turning it into this

This is the car here http://www.internationalhouseofhaas.com/timcar/

It was my pride and joy, but unfornatly I didnt get rid of all the rust, so it was starting to bubble a little, I had two choices Either re-restore it, or let it go when it stil has value and buy another car. That car i re-did everything, rebuilt a SBC for it, new brakes all the way around, lots of body, painted it myself. It went for 3800

I spent 400 on a daily driver

Then 3000 on my project 1969 convertible, which im doing now

I got my saving since i Was 17 in esince into this car, there no way that im going to abuse it, Just looking for advice on what rear to use
Old 05-28-2005, 10:13 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereodud
You guys also half to relize, right now, im 19 when i was 17 i got my first car a 1969 firebird, a complete rustbucket, I figured thats how I learn

I spent 2 years turning it into this

This is the car here http://www.internationalhouseofhaas.com/timcar/

It was my pride and joy, but unfornatly I didnt get rid of all the rust, so it was starting to bubble a little, I had two choices Either re-restore it, or let it go when it stil has value and buy another car. That car i re-did everything, rebuilt a SBC for it, new brakes all the way around, lots of body, painted it myself. It went for 3800

I spent 400 on a daily driver

Then 3000 on my project 1969 convertible, which im doing now

I got my saving since i Was 17 in esince into this car, there no way that im going to abuse it, Just looking for advice on what rear to use
If you have no intention of ever doing a little bracket racing at the track or any type of racing whatsoever then put whichever one in there that you like. My opinion is that since you have the option you should go with the posi unit. I wouldn't be concerned with any dangers at all...the posi is not some big ugly monster just waiting to get you killed or anything, it can be a problem if your inexperienced and being irresponsible with it but other than that you won't have any problems. If you do decide to take it to a track just for the heck of it at a later date then you will wish you had the posi.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Posi or Not

I would go with a posi I had a 1970 GTO with 323 rear gears open and I wish I would of had a posi unit do it now so that you won't have to do it later just becareful when it's raining also I would go with the lower gears. What casting numbers are on the heads? Good luck!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:20 PM

The one disadvantage of the posi is that it can be a handful in very slippery conditions. Since you live in NY, you might have to drive in ice and snow.

When a non-posi breaks loose on ice it moves sideways relatively slowly. When a posi rear end breaks loose, it spins both wheels, moves sideways quickly, and you can swap ends very fast on ice or snow. However, I still prefer the posi for most driving.

Bruce
Old 12-20-2006, 12:52 AM

Last photo:

Don't forget the main reason for having posi to begin with: greater traction. While it is totally true that if you overpower the tires you will go sideways, it also takes about three times the effort to break both wheels loose compared to one wheel. A posi unit has the ability to greatly increase the performance of your car - as long as you are sensible about it. You can run an open differential, 2 barrel carb, and a small cam and think you are safer. Go into a slick turn too fast and you're still going to eat it. Put in the posi and use common sense when you drive.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
I am very happy to hear that as a young driver you are concerned about safety and not one of those kids that puts huge engines in a junk car and drives 150 mph down the highway on unknown rated junkyard tires and feels that brake pads are a waste of money...oh, that sounds like someone I know...

jerk, that sounds like me,
i got a 81 chevy (i like to call it a sleeper, but whatever) with a small block with Dart heads, on second hand tires. But i dont drive that fast
OH im 18 too
Old 12-20-2006, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Hot rod with no posi????? Just don't seem right.

Anyone can get traction, I like a car that can spin for 500 ft. If you buy your rear tires in bulk, it saves a lot of money.
Bob
Old 12-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Limited slip set up a little softer than spec. You get the posi when you get on it hard, and limited slip when you need it, softer holding power when it is slippery.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:06 AM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

you say you have a daily driver so the fire bird im assuming will be a fair weather car, so barring some chance storm, wich i know can happen, the slippery conditions are not so much of a concern. a posi unit in my humble opinion is the better choice, better traction, and two cool black marks instead of one dorky one. sure the car may get a little squirelly but as people mention time and again an open carrier doesn't solve that completely, i can post some video of me doing donuts in my open carrier Monte Carlo if ud like

Last edited by leldai73; 12-31-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.