Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear seat delete

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  NOVA1958 
#1 ·
I've gotten good advise on here in the past and now I'm needing some advise on what material to use on a rear package tray and everything you see in the pic. The car didn't have a back seat when I bought it plus you couldn't access it anyway because of the cage so I desided to build this to cover up the rear seat area. I don't know if I need to use carpet, vinyl, tweed or what.

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#3 ·
If racing i think you would want it to have some rear sheet metal. not sure if this is required to pass tech but wasnt thinking it was.
If there is a fuel cell or a battery mounted in the trunk area, then that area has to be isolated completely from the driver's compartment with minimum 0.024" steel or 0.032" aluminum. Theoretically, you should be able to hang the car from the rear bumper and fill the trunk with liquid and not get anything in the driver's compartment wet. I have never, in all the thousands of cars I have teched, seen a car that would be that tight. But the idea is, to keep fire off the driver. :thumbup:

#4 ·
i totally agree with tech inspector..

you have openings all over the rear seat area.. speaker and other holes in the package tray... massive openings behind the seats... but also on the sides where the rear window regulators are.

there are also openings above the wheel wells that allow trunk to fill the quarter panels behind the door where the rear window regulators are.

#5 ·
I think it would look nice with carpet matching the floor, on the bottom part. Then black vinyl over the upright section and shelf area. Some stitching or trim of some sort might look good on the vertical part.

#6 ·
I'm not going to be racing just a weekend cruiser that's way I did close up all the openings. There is a fuel cell and battery in the trunk though do y'all think it will be ok to leave it as is. I thinking of adding some shapes like the bottom pic to the back panel to breakup that large section.

#9 ·
Not being tubed and cut up is one reason I bought the car years ago. The cage was in the car and I thought it was cool at the time plus it adds some strength the the body. The car was a racecar before I bought it and it still looks like one but it's not going to be raced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.