rear shock location - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rear shock location

i am helping a freind set up a drag car (72 maverick)he just picked up a ladderbar kit and adjustable coilovershocks.he was wanting to know were to place the shocks on the inside of the bars close to the tires or on the inside .i think he should put them on the inside because most of the work is done by the ladder bars.is that right .any links for pictures of ladderbar setups would be nice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

rear shock location

Set them up as close to the wheels as practical. Angle them at 20 degrees in toward the center of the housing and don't forget the panhard bar. Should be good to go.

Youngster
Old 11-23-2007, 07:59 PM

wouldn't it be better to mount themstraight up?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

rear shock location

Nope...20* gives better lateral control for cornering , engine torque,etc.

Youngster
Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Long story short, I think it has to do with the fact that you want some of the damping action of the shock absorbers acting left-right. I never paid enough attention to the how's and why's of solid axle suspensions to explain it without looking it up..

Youngster- bear in mind, he said it's for drag racing, so *ideally* no cornering involved. I remember enough to remember that going straight means you want different things than when you're planning to turn.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipangle
Long story short, I think it has to do with the fact that you want some of the damping action of the shock absorbers acting left-right. I never paid enough attention to the how's and why's of solid axle suspensions to explain it without looking it up..
I scanned these a while ago for someone else...

Read specifically p183 2nd paragraph (note that in this book Sway = Lateral vibration without angle change, against link and bush lateral compliance). If you want to read it all start on the bottom of the first page where it says "Solid Axles"

From The Shock Absorber Handbook by John C. Dixon

Last edited by Triaged; 11-25-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM

Last photo:

rear shock location

One question... how many times have you seen a car launch from the starting line and go side ways down the track? Once you break traction, engine torque comes into play, causing a side ways move because the body/chassis starts to lean. You can counter this by mounting the coil overs at an angle. 20* is recommended because you don't loose a large percentage of your spring rate.

Youngster
Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

We're not talking top-fuel dragster here or we would be talking about independent rear suspension... I think we may not really know enough to give a qualified answer in terms of degrees or inches unless anybody else here has taken leaf springs out of a Maverick and put in ladder bars with coil-over spring suspension. You should bear in mind that I can only speak in general terms about what you should consider in finding your own answer, and that might go for others responding as well, but no disrespect intended, I could be wrong and maybe other posters have done this.

I'm assuming there isn't a lot of engineering involved to this point, and the Shock Absorber Handbook is not particularly layman friendly, nor are the kinematic equations it contains useful to the hobbyist. If I was undertaking a project such as this, I'd either be buying a complete kit that was designed for the purpose for which I was using it or I'd save the cost of paying somebody else to fab up the pieces I could make myself, i.e. anything involving tube or sheet steel.. And if I had to figure out my own attachment points instead of doing what the kit says, that means I'm building it myself and not using a kit.

I'm reading between the lines here, with only a brief search on ladder bar kits available for a Maverick, I saw kits for the stock leaf springs... If you're asking about where to put the coilovers on the ladder bar, I'm gathering you might be taking a leaf spring kit and trying to use it with coilovers in place of the leaf springs. If that's what you're doing, my recommendation is to stop before you start and talk this through. If that's not what you're doing, my apologies, but we still would help you best with more information.

I should think that if your ladder bar kit was intended for your car and for use with coilovers, you wouldn't need to add coilover mounts to the bars. If it wasn't intended for coilovers, chances are the bars aren't designed to carry the weight of the car in bending. I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind since usually leaf spring suspensions mean traction bars which is all I'm finding when I search for Maverick applications...

Here's a link showing a ladder bar setup done on a Maverick... This involved cutting out rear floor, fabbing new frame...
http://www.streetrodgarage.com/index...n=Custom&ID=44

If you're looking at a generic ladder bar kit such as in the following link, one thing to point out is that it indicates "Our STAGE I system pictured is an ideal entry level kit where factory spring and shocks will be used. This Ladder Bar kit will dramatically improve the traction and consistancy of any rear wheel drive car with the exception of short wheelbase Imports where installation is not recommended." (for the stage I kit)
http://chassisengineering.com/shopDe...ProductId=1392

Chassis Engineering's stage 2 kit pretty much sets the upper and lower attachment points for the coilovers, so everything would be answered by the instructions for the kit if that was what you're getting:
http://chassisengineering.com/shopDe...ProductId=1393

For the sake of an interesting discussion, it's not hard to imagine how a car could yaw in the dynamics of a launch. Unless it has an absolutely horrid suspension that would probably break anyway, there are much larger contributors to the dynamic than undamped lateral deflection of the suspension. The biggest contributor to yaw in launch would be the fact that in the process of torquing the chassis, one rear wheel is more loaded than the other. Assuming the wheels are locked, they're rotating at the same RPM, but due to different normal forces, one wheel is generating more traction than the other, that's gonna contribute an order of magnitude more to yaw than any suspension harmonics.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

rear shock location

I guess I might have been reading things into the original post. You know what they say about assuming.. It makes an ars-out of -u- and -me! Didn't mean to misled anyone.

Youngster

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.