Rear Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rear Suspension

HI, I'm trying to figure out what type of suspension to used on my 76 nova. I built the the car for street racing not race track. I have a 437 18 degree engine with bowtie aluminum heads,2.0 jessel rockers,2.150 titanium valves,4-7 swap cam ,950 carb, not sure the lift on the cam its high. 400 trans worked all the way with a 58 hundred 8" convertor and rear has 4-10 gears. I still have the stock suspension on it with 10.5 e.t drags. When I race it I have to fight the car to stay on the street. WHAT SHOULD I GO WITH 4LINK OR LADDERS BARS AND ANTI SWAY BAR.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 12:45 AM
More for Less Racer

Go with CalTracs (www.calvertracing.com) or Competition Egineering's Slide-a-Link, Smith Racecraft also makes something similar (MaxTrax, I believe). Bolt-on, and they can make a big difference without the need to cut the car up. There are CalTrac-equipped cars running 8 second 1/4 miles.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

Take it to a race track.You might find the suspension is fine it is the surface you trying to race on.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 PM
More for Less Racer

What is your current traction aid?? Or none??
Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM

suspension

my current traction aid is posi rear and traction bars with 4-10 gears
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Right Gear

I Would Like To Know If 4-10 Gears Is A Good 1/4 Gear For What Type Of Motor I Have And The Weight Of A 76nova. I Cut Some Weight Out Of It.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADNDIR
I Would Like To Know If 4-10 Gears Is A Good 1/4 Gear For What Type Of Motor I Have And The Weight Of A 76nova. I Cut Some Weight Out Of It.
Depends on how much power you are making and what the rear tire diameter is, and what is the maximum rpm you are looking to cross the finish line at??

What does the car actually weigh now?? What rear axle is in it now??

If by traction bars you mean slapper bars, they ain't gonna cut it. Not even on the same planet with CalTracs or similar types. A good adjustable shock (Single action or Double action) really helps too.

You may also find that once you get it hooked, that the posi unit will "hunt", sending more power to one tire then the other, trying to decide which tire has the most traction. The result is a car that wanders around badly under power. You are in spool or locker territory. Also hope you have better than just stock axles and posi unit with the kind of power your engine can make.

I know you don't want to hear it, but street racing is stupid and punk and could get somebody hurt. Take it to a track and do it right, it is easier to get things adjusted right when the surface is prepared and you have a timeslip to tell you where the car is weak or strong in the 1/4 mile. You can always do it on a No Time night, or request on a regular T-n-T night that your time doesn't get displayed or announced (N T in big shoe polish letters)
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM

I Have 28-10.5 Et Drags. My Axles Are Probadly The Stock Ones. I Run It One The Street Because I Dont Want A Roll Cage In It. If I Put On Track Without That I Will Ruin The Body

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.