rear suspension on 30 ford coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2002, 07:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question rear suspension on 30 ford coupe

am trying to install 4 bar and coil over shock suspension.how far apart should the 4bar and coil over shock brackets be?was told 45 inches but this does not work out.i am using a 10 bolt s-10 rearend wich is 55 inches hub to hub. i am also using a stock model a frame wich i have boxed in.
any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.this is our first model a project.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2002, 05:17 AM

I set mine up at 37 inches but people do differ a little in design
Old 04-25-2002, 05:50 PM

I have a 30 model A with a professionally built TCI frame and a corvette rear end, so this information may not completely apply to your situation, but maybe it will give you a starting point.

The coilovers on my car are Alden brand and measure 12 inches from the top to the bottom mounting point. The coil overs are mounted at an angle. They are exactly 31 1/8 inches apart at the top (off the frame) and 41 1/8 inches at the bottom, connecting to the trailering arm of the suspension.

Hope this information helps.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:44 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

It depends on the type of four bar you are using. Typically the frame mounts for the four bar will dictate location, if you are not using a "pro street" set-up. Some of the "pro street" set-ups fasten the front mount to a cross member, allowing you to install it wherever you need it.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:05 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you have the traditional Pete and Jakes style fourbars, when your front brackets are in position on the frame then you can tell where the rear mounts will go on your rear end. Before welding your front brackets to the frame however you need to be sure that where your axle goes on the rear bracket , that your axle is going to be centered in the rear wheel well.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:38 AM

I agree with Lakeroadster. I just installed a 4 bar in my 30' coupe, and I found that by first positioning the front mounts to frame the rear mounts were in the correct position on the rearend. My rear is a 9" Ford and I made sure it was centered before tacking everything into place. The spring-over shocks were a different story however. The rear mounts had the shock mounts built in and the angle of the shocks is right at 30 degrees when installed. Any lesser degree interfers with the frame. I'm not real happy about this and may change it later.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.