Rear Suspension on 32 ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear Suspension on 32 ford

My 32 has a wishbone rear suspension with the old buggy spring. Rides like a truck and I have not been able to get the thing not to bottom out when going over the smallest road repair or bump. I have tried new shocks, pulled leafs out of the spring and tried some other things that were totally useless, with no sucess. Since the wishbone keeps the rear axle in line would it be possible to simply add a coil over setup to the car and would the ride improve? Has anyone done this type of work to try to get their unit to ride better? If so, what did you use and do you have photos of the suspension as it now sits. I can always add a panhard bar to the rear if it is needed. Thanks for any help.

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

It's never going to ride like your Vette, with the stock suspension, but you can get a decent ride by changing springs and using good quality shocks.,Call Posies in PA www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/ , they use teflon buttons in the springs and it really helps the ride and they can probably give you info on the shocks., Eaton Detroit Spring also makes a good spring www.eatonsprings.com/ and may be able to help you.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalopy45
It's never going to ride like your Vette,
Mine rides better than a Vette ... but then most Vettes do not ride good ... like my Cadillac ...
Coils do ride better than leafs ... as a general rule ...
I have my frame "C ed" ... and I have a 4 link with a coil springs ...

The coils were at the the power coaters for this photo.
This setup is similar to the late 60's and early 70's GM rear suspension under Chevelles and such.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:01 AM

Last photo:

Deuce,

I am assuming that the 2 uprights from the spring perches to the rear crossmember are simply stiffeners or do they serve a secondary purpose? Am I correct in my assumption? It appears that I will have to do a frame off to get to where yours is. My frame is only partially boxed and it isn't very heavy plating. They originally had a mustang box on the four bar so no real need to put heavier plating in or to fully box the unit. I took that out and put in a vega box. I did not realize that the frame had been welded at the front crossmember previously. I found that out when I started to get a lot of play in the wheel and I couldn't understand until I looked behind the left front wheel. Frame was starting to split along the bottom rail. Had to reweld it and reinforce the front crossmember. May have to redo all of that also as I would want to completely box the frame when I do this. Thanks for your help.

Steve
Old 08-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflog
Deuce,

I am assuming that the 2 uprights from the spring perches to the rear crossmember are simply stiffeners or do they serve a secondary purpose? Thanks for your help.

Steve
The uprights are in place of the shocks .... until I get the coil springs in ...
I have them back from the power coaters and will take another photo of the setup ... with the springs in place ... later tonight
Old 08-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Sorry for being stupid. I didn't even think of the shocks not being there. Call me an imbocile. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 08-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I tell you what ...

Bring me the 3W ... and leave it at my house for the winter and I guarantee it will ride better next spring ...

I need one to drive until I get mine finished ...

Old 08-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Last photo:

Hey Deuce, where is the Zip unit on that ZZ430?

Vince
Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

Deuce,

If I had the money you'd have it to cure the ills for me. Right now I am flat broke. Getting caught up in building a new house and garage (shop???). I already put the 32 away in the garage as it was put up at my request before the house got started. I went ahead and saved the photos of your frame/rear end setup. Is that OK. Looks like what I would like to do to mine. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflog
Deuce,

If I had the money you'd have it to cure the ills for me. Right now I am flat broke. Getting caught up in building a new house and garage (shop???).
Steve
I was just picking at you ... I do not need another project to fix ... I am retired and just PLAY anymore ... but would drive yours and keep it warm all winter down here where It rarely snows ...
I never have to put mine up. A lot of days in January, February and March are 60 plus ... I am actually looking forward to the cooler weather where I can really get after the 3W project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Hey Deuce, where is the Zip unit on that ZZ430?

Vince
Brand new in the box ... I got it at NATS SOUTH in Knoxville and just have not yet installed it.

Deuce ...
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

Deuce,

I'll see if I can't get my 32 disassembled this winter as my project. Will probably take about 3 years to get it totally done but what the hell, I've got the time. Will let you know how it progresses once I start. I tried to attach a photo of my new garage to the last note but I am not sure of which galaxy it was sent to when I uploaded it. It never showed up in the note and I can't find it even though I know it uploaded. Built a 36' X 32' unit. Has a two stall area for cold storage of the 32 and the vette. Has a single stall, heated and insulated for working in the winter months. Also added an overhead door on side wall for a spot to park my fishing boat so that when I get frustrated with the car or the wife, I can go fishing. Take care.

Steve
Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

In order to NOT be without the 3W ... and shorten the down time I might would consider buying a set of Dearborn Deuce frame rails or a chassis from them ... if I was you. or another original 32 chassis and build it ... and then move the 3W over on it.

I strongly considered pulling the roadster body off and putting the 3W coupe body on the roadster's chassis and then building the 3W chassis for the roadster ... but I just cannot be without a roadster that long.

Whatever you do ... I am positive it will be a cool 3W

Randy ...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.