Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rear suspension change needed?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 05:32 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

rear suspension change needed?

Do I need to mess with the basic original design of the rear suspension on a '49 Olds?

The goal is to have a car that's fun to drive occasionally, not a daily driver nor a dragster. The weight of the car means it will never be a sports car, so I'm not going to try to get it to corner like one. The heavy frame and lots of space up front begs for an engine with lots of torque, so I'll have to beef up that rear end.

Other than the differential and shocks, what's wrong (and what's right) with the original design? The radius arms(?) in the attached image are about 45 inches long.

I intend to make a 5" to 7" drop. The thing had 8-1/2" clearance under the differential, originally! Can this drop be achieved with this design, getting the differential up higher into the step of the frame, so that at normal ride height the frame itself is the lowest part of the car? Will that result in a ride so harsh it won't be a decent cruiser any more?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09170016.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	14995   Click image for larger version

Name:	09170020.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	14996   Click image for larger version

Name:	09170021.jpg