Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rear suspension change needed?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Deuce is right, I would add that your current setup lends itself to easy spring changes so you can get your ride height and spring rate changed to suit your needs Also, a set of air bags will just about install themselves in those mounts.
As far as a harsh ride is concerned: Folks will lower a car by using up all of the suspension travel, then try to keep it from bottoming out the frame on the axle by putting stiffer springs. Bad idea.

You can C- notch that frame some to get some of your clearance back.
I would think that the front suspension is going to be more of a challenge. What does it look like?

later, mikey
Only thing I would say is to "Z" the chassis in the rear by adding a piece of box tube to the top of the frame rail to gain back any strength lost by making a "C" cut in a chassis rail..Just my way..

When I set up a chassis to be as low as possible I measure the sidewall of the tires and set the bottom of the chassis at that height..set it on blocks at design ride height and then it gets a lot more clear as to what has to be done to get the chassis to that point..

Refer to my journal to see how I do it..others have other ways that work for them..

Sam